State of Orissa Travel Answers

change location

Travel alone in Orissa

by Pbvenkat Online Now Dec 30, 2012 at 9:03 AM

I would like to live a month in Orissa traveling across the state with an intent to spend time with the natives preferably in the villages living their life, eating their food and spending time with them. I wish to do it alone. I plan to arrive at Bhubneshwar and take a local bus to alight in any small village I find on the way. Will carry my tent and backpack. Is this safe? I am advised by some of my friends otherwise. I do not know the local language (that is one reason I chose Orissa). I am a Tamil Hindu presently living in Hubli, Karnataka. I am a man aged 45. Can someone suggest a travel route within Orissa for me please? I do not wish to visit any popular places such as Puri, Konark etc.

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • dossdoss's Profile Photo

Re: Travel alone in Orissa

by dossdoss Online Now Jan 3, 2013 at 7:26 AM

Assuming by 'natives' you mean tribals?
    As I understand it a lot of the tribal regions in Orissa are off limits to outsiders, including Indian citizens, without prior arrangement.
    This can mean government permit as well as permission or invite from a local.
    I would suggest you try and contact a local fixer with a genuine reason to visit rather than just wanting to have tea with the natives!

Of course, you could go on a contrived organised tour, but I expect these are nothing short of being human zoos (though I'm sure there are some genuine, well-organised and beneficial tours too - just keep up the research!)

facebook.com/pages/Dossyours...

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular State of Orissa Travel Answer Locations