State of Orissa Travel Answers

change location
gyllberta's Profile Photo

tribes in orissa

by gyllberta Online Now Feb 16, 2006 at 7:43 AM

hi everyone, in two weeks I'm heading for india. SInce I'll be there for quite some time, I was thinking of visiting more remote areas as well. I've always been interested in tribes and indegenous people, so orissa seems like a perfect choice for me...But I have some doubts. Do I have to get a permitt for going there? Do I need a guide? Or even better, is there some kind of volunteer/observational type of work? what would the price be, if perhaps anybody knows..
Thnx for your help, m.

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • umashanker's Profile Photo

RE: tribes in orissa

by umashanker Online Now Feb 22, 2006 at 3:56 AM

Hi!
    Mostly the Orissa tribes are high land habitats with opulent ethnic trait, cultures and customs dominated by varying languages. The culture conscious tribes are able to preserve their social customs and dignified values. The most primitive tribes are Bondas, Gadabas, Koyas, Kondhas and Sauras. The tribes have adapted the Hindu traditions and culture from centuries, which is mixed with their own culture giving a distinct zest to the entire racial. Songs and dances are the essence of the tribal culture of Orissa. Weekly "market days", when the local tribal people come to buy goods, give you the perfect opportunity to see the various tribes close at hand. You will meet people with distinct features, and decorated with facial and hand tattoos, layers of beads covering bare breasts, piles of aluminum necklaces and a multitude of earrings.
    You can exlplore the Rayagada and jaypore disticts.Just remember that there had been instances in orrisa that christian missionaries come here try to lure the poor tribals and convert them to christianity.This can spark off troubles so just enjoy as a traveller only and not indulg in any missopnary activity.
    Best wishes
    Uma shanker

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular State of Orissa Travel Answer Locations