State of Kosrae Travel Answers

change location

accomodations on Kosrae and other islands of FSM

by bilyum Online Now Nov 13, 2004 at 10:53 PM

My wife and I will be traveling to Micronesia this winter, 2005. We were in Kosrae in 1967-69 as Peace Corps volunteers. We have not been to Kosrae since a short visit in 1979 and I am sure much has changed since then. A jet port was unimaginable back then. We are looking for decent but moderate cost lodging while there but may be able to stay with old friends part of the time when we get there. My question is: How difficult is it to find available lodging and how far in advance do we need to reserve? Is it usually crowded in February? What hotels are recommended? Also, what activities and sites do you recommend. We will be in Kosrae for 2 weeks and will also spend a few days in Palau, Yap, and Pohnpei, so any tips on those islands would be appreciated as well. Thank you, Bill

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • travelmad478's Profile Photo

Re: accomodations on Kosrae and other islands of FSM

by travelmad478 Online Now Nov 14, 2004 at 3:23 PM

bookmark!! I'm planning to go to Micronesia in April and was wondering the same thing. As it happens, I just bought the Moon Guide for Micronesia this very day and I'm going through it now. This guidebook appears pretty up-to-date and they are showing a reasonable amount of accommodations in all four states of FSM. I'm very interested to hear about your time in Micronesia overall, back then. It seems like a very off-the-beaten-path place. I'm taking a few months off work next year and decided to go there for part of the time to do some diving and just veg out. Does that sound right to you?

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • RE: accomodations on Kosrae and other islands of FSM

by swandy Online Now Aug 18, 2005 at 9:03 AM

hi there.im from kosrae. i just saw ur post today, hope my reply wont be too late. kosrae has some hotels now. its better not to make reservations until u get there, they're cheaper this way. the only problem is if u dont have anyone picking u up from the airport, then the hotel reservation is ur way to go. other than that, i'd recommend u do it when u get there, save urself a couple of bucks. the two greatest resorts there are the KOSRAE VILLAGE RESORT and the KOSRAE NAUTILUS RESORT. believe me they never run out of rooms, so thats not a problem. they also provide sight seeing tours, diving, kayaking and all kinds of island stuff. kosrae has changed some since u were there, but the customs are mostly still in place. foreigners are still treated as honor guests, so u can either stay local, or in a hotel.believe me accomadations wont be a problem.

• RE: accomodations on Kosrae and other islands of FSM

by NYCMarc Online Now Dec 17, 2005 at 3:58 PM

Bill: I'm sure we know each other since I was in Kolonia and Kusaie the same time as you. Turning 60 TODAY and wife and I about to go to my party this second, here in Greenwich Village, NYC. I forget your last name and wife's but I can almost picture the two of you. I returned for visit to Ponape in 1982 for 2 weeks, but never got down to Kusaie; had a great time.

Write back when you get a chance. Hope all is well almost 40 years(!!) since we did our thing there.

All the best,
    Marc Wallace

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular State of Kosrae Travel Answer Locations