State of Jammu and Kashmir Travel Answers

change location

Kashmir security

by johnbook Online Now Feb 14, 2013 at 3:45 PM

Is Indian Kashmir safe for your regular tourist? Srinagar, Gulmarg, etc?

Quote & Answer
6 Answers
  • Odinnthor's Profile Photo

Re: Kashmir security

by Odinnthor Online Now Feb 14, 2013 at 4:06 PM

Hi there and welcome to VT........d:o)

Hmmm, well it depends on whom you talk to. I have been to Kashmir several times, and have heard battles in the distance, (the battle noice was quitesome time ago....), but never had a problem. Kashmir is a popular ski region as well which most are unaware of. As you do not mention what time of year you are thinking of going, there is skiing in Gulmarg now.....

In my case, I would simply monitor events in the region, and go there. I wish I was going back there, - if I could I would in a heartbeat.

Be aware that there are those that are more eh, cautious than I am.......d:o)

I recommend a house boat stay in Srinagar, and a pre-dawn boat ride on Lake Dal is a must.

http://www.srinagarhouseboats.com/

Have fun in Kashmir, it is a wonderland.........d:o)

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • mehulraj's Profile Photo

by mehulraj Online Now Feb 14, 2013 at 7:35 PM

hello there..good points suggested by Erik..I suggest you should talk to one of our member " goutammitra" who has been to all these places last year with his wife and daughter for few days..he can give some more details on security..I am adding few links to his pages here to help you little more

SRINAGAR "Srinagar" - Srinagar by goutammitra KASHMIR "Kashmir The Heaven on Earth!" - State of Jammu and Kashmir by goutammitra GULMARG "India's only Ski Resort: Gulmarg" - Gulmarg by goutammitra

I hope you get some information from his pages and you can mail him if you need further advice

• Odinnthor's Profile Photo

by Odinnthor Online Now Feb 14, 2013 at 8:20 PM

Great suggestion Mehul. My good friend Goutam certainly has all the information needed here. Good to see you here too. Namaste.......d:o)

• anilpradhanshillong's Profile Photo

by anilpradhanshillong Online Now Feb 14, 2013 at 8:55 PM

johnbook wrote: Is Indian Kashmir safe for your regular tourist? Srinagar, Gulmarg, etc?
     At the moment, there is a bit of tension there after the hanging of Afzal Guru in Tihar Jail.

At other times, it is perfectly safe, provided you take normal precautions.

• lynnehamman's Profile Photo

by lynnehamman Online Now Feb 14, 2013 at 10:11 PM

Srinagar is now becoming popular for tourists...should be ok.

• Re: Kashmir security

by vistet Online Now Feb 15, 2013 at 3:36 AM

Srinagar has been under curfew for six days now. Curfews won't be lifted on a Friday , since the prayers has been used a lot as rallying point.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular State of Jammu and Kashmir Travel Answer Locations