State of Himachal Pradesh Travel Answers

change location
stephcdav's Profile Photo

Himachal Pradesh

by stephcdav Online Now Feb 20, 2013 at 11:30 AM

Hey Everyone, after some more advise please regarding the 2nd leg of our journey…

We’ll be finishing in Jaisalmer in Rajasthan and looking to head to Himachal Pradesh. The most northern stop in Himachal Pradesh for us will be Manali.

Basically we’d like to know the best route to get us from Jaisalmer to Himachal Pradesh. We’re easy on which way to travel once we’re in Himachal Pradesh.

Places we’d like to stop in HP are Shimla, Parvati Valley, Kullu Valley, McLeod Ganj. Again advice on best routes, tips/places to see would be useful.

After this we’ll be making our way east through Uttarakhand then into Uttar Pradesh. Any information for us to look up in our research would be great!

Many thanks again, Steph & Ant

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • davidjo's Profile Photo

Re: Himachal Pradesh

by davidjo Online Now Feb 20, 2013 at 12:13 PM

Some years ago i actually walked from Shimla area to Dharamsala via Parvati and Kullu valleys and it is an amazing area. What i was going to suggest is take a bus to Amritser first as you will be in the area and the temple of the Sikhs is an amazing place to visit. As far as i remember there are buses to Bikaner from Jaiselmir, then change to Amritser, then catch another to Dharamsala. Of course this info is only good if you want to make the side trip!!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • lynnehamman's Profile Photo

by lynnehamman Online Now Feb 20, 2013 at 1:20 PM

Your best option is probably to head north in Rajasthan to Bikaner, through Punjab( stop off at Amritsar) and then up to Shimla. It may be possible to fly or go by train from Amritsar to Shimla (depends on how much time you have) Bikaner is worth a day or two visit. Its in northern Rajasthan

• vpas's Profile Photo

by vpas Online Now Feb 20, 2013 at 5:22 PM

I would surely recommend going by train or flight to Himachal and then taking a bus or taxi to go around. Do not self drive in Himachal as the terrain is very difficult to drive and only local drivers are adept in it (not even those from other parts of India) Do read my pages on Himachal, I would surely recommend Raju's guesthouse in Goshaini especially since you are not rushed. Himachal in my opinion is the Switzerland of India. You have chosen two of our best states. Have a good trip,

• anilpradhanshillong's Profile Photo

by anilpradhanshillong Online Now Feb 21, 2013 at 3:09 AM

Neither Jaisalmer nor Manali have a railway station. However, from Jaisalmar go to Jodhpur and catch a train to Pathankot (PTK) or Chandigarh (CDG) or Ambala Cant Jn (UMB) or Kalka (KLK). From there (Chandigarh), you can avail of plenty of buses to any destination in Himachal Pradesh.

Almost all places in Himachal Pradesh are scenic and beautiful. Shimla may disappoint you owing to heavy tourist presence and the resultant crowds.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular State of Himachal Pradesh Travel Answer Locations