State of Gujarat Travel Answers

change location
aberdonian22's Profile Photo

Ahmedabad Restaurants

by aberdonian22 Online Now Sep 29, 2009 at 1:19 PM

I am spending a week in Ahmedabad learning Gujarati (basic) before travelling to Bhuj and Kutch. I would love to spend the evenings sampling the best of typical Gujarati food and would welcome advice and recommendations (and company).
I am travelling from Scotland, have not visited India before and hope to learn the language and culture of the State.
Any help appreciated.
Ian

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • lynnehamman's Profile Photo

Re: Ahmedabad Restaurants

by lynnehamman Online Now Sep 29, 2009 at 5:06 PM

We have had a couple of visits to Gujerat, and stayed in Ahmedabad.
    We stayed at a guest house opposite Gandhi Ashram (Sabarmarti) the first visit, and 2nd visit we stayed at House of MG Hotel.
    The House of MG has a fabulous restuarant called 'The Green House'.
    We ate all our meals on our last visit there..
    Located under a covered pavilion on the ground floor of the building, there are freshly cooked Indian snacks, fresh fruit juices and home-made ice-creams. The menu is quite eclectic-with an emphasis on Indian food.
    The kitchen is situated in an open plan area- and one can watch meals being prepared. The staff all wear clean white uniforms and caps, and are very professional. Obviously, they have been trained very well. Waiting time was short- but the ambiance is so pleasant that we enjoyed just sitting under the canvas canopy, which has vines growing around it, and relaxing.
    We particuarly liked the atmosphere here- its also a great place to meet other travellers.
    Another huge plus was that the waiters spoke excellent English. Unfortunately- often in India there are unintentional misunderstandings regarding the food ordered, because of language difficulties.

Restuarant open from mid morning till 11pm
    Address is House of MG Hotel, Tankaria Road Ahmedabad.

If you are visiting India for the first time- I suggest that you read my page on INDIA. I have some tips which may help you. (there is a link on my homepage)
    I also have a page on AHMEDABAD- with more information.

NB Gujerat is a dry state- so no alcohol is served here.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Ahmedabad Restaurants

by ElCordobez Online Now Sep 29, 2009 at 11:54 PM

I agree with Lynne, the food at the House of MG is outstanding, the best
    Gujarati meals I had anywhere. They also have a dinner restaurant on the rooftop, which is more expensive with a fixed price menu...

• ashisharyan's Profile Photo

Re: Ahmedabad Restaurants

by ashisharyan Online Now Sep 30, 2009 at 4:35 PM

yes the food out there is amazing...

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular State of Gujarat Travel Answer Locations