State of Gujarat Travel Answers

change location

Diu Island

by scruffbag Online Now Jul 27, 2007 at 7:43 AM

Hello,

I am planning to visit Diu isiand in southern Gujarat at the end of September. We will be travelling from Jaipur and are considering flying to Ahmedabad, before taking a coach/ train from there. Directions for taking the train in the Lonely Planet guide are somewhat confusing, however. Has anyone made this journey before? What route would you recommend?

The Lonely Planet book also states it may be possible to take a 'private coach' from Ahmedabad. How would we go about doing this/ where could we book one from?

Also, does anyone know whether there are any Navratri celebrations on in the area at this time?

Thanks a lot for any advice you can provide.

Nick

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • into-thin-air's Profile Photo

Re: Diu Island

by into-thin-air Online Now Jul 27, 2007 at 9:16 AM

Hi Nick
    I did this train journey in reverse earlier this year and it was Easy !!
    I chose the Gujarat Mail which is a direct train but there are also others to chose from
    I have written up about my rail travel in India Experiences on my India page under transportation – you may find it useful ??
    You also have to consider where to buy your train tickets on-line before you set off or at Ahmedabad when you arrive there – That will depend on whether you are intending on staying there ?? if you are then there are a few things worth seeing, Details again on my India page as well as a recommendation for a good hotel in Ahmedabad.
    I hope that helps a little
    Happy Travels
    Rob

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • jfuruly's Profile Photo

Re: Diu Island

by jfuruly Online Now Aug 2, 2007 at 3:11 AM

Regarding your question about the Navrati festival.

According to this site:
    ocpa.gov.uk/multi_faith_cale...

this years Navrati festival takes place between October 11th and October 18th.

But you have anoter option:

Ganesh Chaturthi (Festival of the Elephant God) 15 September 2007

• Re: Diu Island

by scruffbag Online Now Aug 4, 2007 at 3:30 AM

thanks for your responses and sorry for my delayed reply. it's a shame we're likely to miss the Navrati celebrations but I'm sure we'll have a nice time anyway...

Into-thin_air, I was unable to find the advice you mentioned in your travel pages, but have searched for info on the Gujarat Mail. I was wondering if perhaps you were mistaken here, as Diu seems far off the route of mumbai-ahmedabad that the Gujarat Mail apparently runs through.

I have looked in to other ways of arriving at Diu, and think we shouldnt' have too much of a problem after all, either getting a train to veraval (and coach from there), or a coach all the way from ahmedabad.

can't wait to get out there now!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular State of Gujarat Travel Answer Locations