St. John's Travel Answers

change location

Pubs on George Street

by mcgarrg&j Online Now Jun 8, 2005 at 11:15 AM

I'm going to be in St.John's for ten days in the beginning of March. I know a trip to "the rock" isn't complete without a few drunken nights carousing the bars on George Street. In Vancouver we are pretty spoiled in that all bars have gone non smoking (due to asthma, I think its great). I have heard a rumour that New Brunswick has gone non smoking as well and that Newfounland is thinking of doing the same. Any truth to this rumour? Are there any good party places that are non smoking already? What other sites would you recommend as places to put on the "must see" list.

Quote & Answer
5 Answers
  • RE: Pubs on George Street

by RobDavis Online Now Jun 9, 2005 at 4:53 PM

New Brunswick is all smoke-free in the bars, but they have made allowances for special smoking patios in most places.
    Newfoundland still allows smoking in most bars, but I figure it's only a matter of time before the legislation is introduced to ban or restrict it. Such laws will not be passed easily in NL, I would think.
    When you say "other sites" are you referring to bars or just St. John's tips in general? There are some great pages on St. John's here, you should definitely check them out.
    As a must-see bar I would recommend Trapper John's on George Street. Get yourself Screeched In and then head next door to Green Sleeves. In March there isn't much of a crowd. Mostly just the locals and none of the tourist crowd. Enjoy!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • RE: RE: Pubs on George Street

by mcgarrg&j Online Now Jun 17, 2005 at 7:20 AM

The "other sites" I mentioned are anything other than the pubs and partying that you would recommend as a must see in March. I know its not the greatest time of the year to visit but I'm still hoping to have a good time and get some of the Newfie culture and history.

by Kaela Online Now Aug 2, 2005 at 12:55 PM

Its official, George Street is not smoke free.
    Including the outdoor patios in a lot of the bars.
    Enjoy your trip!

by Kaela Online Now Aug 2, 2005 at 12:58 PM

*OOPS!
    I ment to say.. Its official, George Street is NOW smoke free!
    Big Difference!!
    Its strange to walk down the street and not really see many people smoking, it's made a huge difference, now there aren't even as many people smoking outside the bars anymore.

• abbottsc's Profile Photo

RE: Pubs on George Street

by abbottsc Online Now Sep 27, 2006 at 8:37 AM

All bars in St. john's are completely non smoking - no worries

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines