St. John's Travel Answers

change location

Geo Centre, Science Centre, Rock Music & Screech etc.

by CircleSky Online Now Sep 9, 2003 at 6:25 PM

My mother and I are going to be in St. John's on Friday (Sept 12th) for two nights. This will be our first trip out there. I'm interested in seeing the Johnson Geo Centre and/or the Science Centre. Which would the locals recommend as a more interesting/exciting/informative place? The Geo Centre website describes the Stellarium as being very impressive. Is it really as impressive as it seems? Will it be open in September? Quote: "Plus, opening during Summer 2003 is the awe-inspiring Stellarium, showing over 250 of the stars closest to Earth, as seen in a three-dimensional model that just leaves people speechless." Where is a good place to go for (classic or modern) rock music (such as AC DC) and dancing on a Friday and Saturday night? Do the majority of visitors take part in the Screech initiation? Is that even done? Is it a joke that the locals enjoy playing on foreigners? ;) Thanks in advance for any information you can give me. --Shannon

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • Re: Re: Geo Centre, Science Centre, Rock Music & Screech etc.

by RobDavis Online Now Sep 10, 2003 at 5:40 AM

Looks like I'm just going to miss you! I'll be in NFLD on the 15th. I've actually never heard of the Geo Centre, but it sounds cool. If you go down to the pubs on Water Street you will find a good variety of live bands performing. Most are folk-rock, but you can probably find some good Rock & Roll. Greensleaves is a good choice... I got screeched during my first trip there. I was there on business and was out drinking with a bunch of locals. It took 16 beers before I would "Kiss da cod". It's kind of a hazy memory, frankly. But don't worry, if you don't want to do it, no one makes you. Did you know that Queen Elizabeth got screeched? Enjoy your trip!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • DAYDRINKER's Profile Photo

Re: Geo Centre, Science Centre, Rock Music & Screech etc.

by DAYDRINKER Online Now Apr 16, 2004 at 11:16 AM

I havnt seen the stellarium but the Geo Center was most impressive. Its up on Signal Hill which you wont want to miss due to it's impressive views anyhow...

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines