St. John Travel Answers

change location
Freebeacher's Profile Photo

St. John Nude Beaches

by Freebeacher Online Now Jan 16, 2004 at 2:47 PM

I just want to warn those of you who are naturists (like me) that US National Park Service rangers aggressively patrols traditional nude beaches like Salomon and Jumbaie (and others) and ticket topfree and nude sunbathers. Tickets are usually50. but I have seen100. tickets issued. This latest round of ticketing has actually been going on continuously since May 2001. I obtained copies of the tickets from the NPS under the Freedom of Information Act. I saw a page on VT written within two months naming Salomon as a nude beach-it used to be, but presently is not. I wish it were, but...I moved to St. John in 1999 and stayed until May 2001 largely because of the availability of nude bathing at Salomon Beach.

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • Re: St. John Nude Beaches

by Marc-Guillaume Online Now Mar 2, 2004 at 10:21 AM

Sounds like NPS is still very anti- clothing optional. Can you recommend any other beaches on St. John where nude bathing might work ?....any of the more remote beaches?

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Freebeacher's Profile Photo

Re: Re: St. John Nude Beaches

by Freebeacher Online Now Mar 3, 2004 at 10:40 PM

Other beaches? Not really. NPS is largely composed of very conservative law enforcement, as in religious conservative. There is a church called the Christian Ministry in the National Parks which is very opposed to nude recreation, even though there is no law against it on US federal lands. Many rangers, are, or were, actively involved with this church. The USVI have an oudated and overbroad obscenity statute (14VIC1022) which is interpreted as making nude recreation illegal. This territorial law is enforced by the federal rangers. Enforcement has depended on the personal philosphy and personality of the park superintendant at the time. There was a 1.5 year period where naturists were left perfectly alone. Then in 2001 enforcement began again continuing now. I advise naturists to spend their money in St. Barts, St. Martin, Haulover Beach near Miami Beach, Negril, Jamacia, Australia, etc.; anyplace where the naturist lifestyle is accepted.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular St. John Travel Answer Locations