St. Croix Travel Answers

change location

Should I rent a car or bike in St. Croix?

by SandyAnn Online Now Sep 3, 2004 at 6:17 AM

I'll be in St. Croix (staying at the Hibiscus Hotel) which is 3 miles from Christiansted, for a week in early Jan '05. I'm not sure if this hotel is walkable distance to anything -- restaurants, grocery stores, etc. I'll definitely want to go in once or twice to Chistiansted, and maybe look around the island. I'm wondering whether to rent a car for a few days, or maybe a bicycle, or would a taxi be best?? I love riding a bike, but I'm not an adventure/mountain biker. Being able to ride a bike into the city sounds like fun, but I'm unsure of the terrain, safety, things like that. Has anyone rented a bike to get around while in St. Croix? Is a rental car a good idea? Any advice? (Guess I should tell you that I'm a woman and will be traveling with my 24 year old daughter.)

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • Re: Should I rent a car or bike in St. Croix?

by ahaynes122 Online Now Oct 14, 2004 at 10:45 AM

You should rent a car or taxi (although taxis are very unreliable). I wouldn't ride a bike unless it's within a "control environment" like a resort or somthing. I don't want to scare you or anything, but I've lived in St. Croix for 20+ years (moved there when I was in 8th Grade) and I've seen the island change. I wouldn't ride a bike in "town" either. To tell you the truth, I don't even think you can rent bikes to bike around the island. Way to hilly and dangerous. We drive like maniacs! Also, you have to remember that we drive on the left down there....unfortunately, the wheel is also on the left so there are a lot of blind spots when u drive. Also, you can turn LEFT on red.....confusing, yes. I know Hibiscus Beach Hotel VERY well. My parents and I used to stay there before we bought our house. It's situated in a very residential area. 3 miles to the nearest supermarket (Pueblo)....seems like an eternity. You've made a nice choice with the Hibiscus. There's a pool, a great outdoor bar and it does get quite lively in the evenings with a good reggae band or calypso band. If you need any more advice on my special little island, please don't hesitate to email me here..... Alexandra

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular St. Croix Travel Answer Locations