Travel Answers
Sri Lanka

change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• Sri Lanka in July - who wants to join us?

Sri Lanka Apr 16, 2014 at 12:50 AM

Hi all we are 40+ couple from Poland and we will be in Sri Lanka from the 1st of July till 23rd. We plan to make a tour during the first 6 days and than go to the East and stay there two remaining weeks. We are looking for company to join us in our trip. Let me know if interested :)

more
    • modes of travel in srilanka

Bentota Mar 25, 2014 at 12:05 AM

we are 4 adults and 1 child. Want to know the best way to travel from Colombo airport to bentota. and later from bentota to kandy

more
    • A swimwear/ bikini shop in Unawatuna

Unawatuna Apr 8, 2014 at 8:57 PM

Hi, I am arriving from Rishikesh, in north India. Are there any shops close by Unawatuna for swimwear?

more
    • List of Halal food in Sri lanka

Sri Lanka Mar 31, 2014 at 9:46 AM

I'll be travelling in sri lanka soon. Therefore would be glad if anyone could share the list of halal eateries that they have been to. Especially to this following places:
      - pollonuwara
      - nuwara eliya
      - hambantuta
      - galle
      - colombo

Appreciate your kind help.

more
    • August Itinerary - HELP NEEDED

Sri Lanka Apr 6, 2014 at 10:09 AM

Hello all. I am planning a 15 day trip in August for myself and my boyfriend (both mid 20s). Please can you let me know your thoughts on whether it's feasible (or if we're missing something important?). We want a good balance of beach, exploring local cultures & authentic food. Our priorities are at least one beautiful beach resort (weather permitting) with luxury accommodation, one safari experience (with tree hut lodge stays), and some great local food / markets. We would enjoy some evening nightlife for some of the trip too. Our plan so far is:

Colombo - head straight to Negombo for 2 nights
      Kandy for 3 nights
      Nuwara Eliya for 2 nights
      Yala National Park for 2 nights
      Ella for 1 night
      Beach Resort (Tangalle / Mirissa) for 4 nights
      Galle for 1 night
      Train to Colombo for flight home

more
    • Airport shuttle

Bentota Mar 28, 2014 at 6:10 AM

Can anyone suggest a good taxi firm that runs a service from Bentota to Colombo airport?

Thanks

Gary

more

we are 4 adults and 1 child. Want to know the best way to travel from Colombo airport to bentota. and later from bentota to kandy

more
    • Best non-surf beach in September

Southern Province Yesterday

We're going to be in Sri Lanka in September and we're looking for a beach that is not too rough to spend about 5 days. This is the 'nicer' part of our trip, so we're looking for somewhere nice to stay (though not necessarily a resort, smaller more boutiquey places are our preference). We've been looking at Bentota, Hikkaduwa and Mirissa... but a bit confused as to which one would be best for us ...

more
    • tsunami warning system in sri lanka

Sri Lanka Apr 18, 2014 at 12:57 AM

Hi,
      Sri Lanka cost have a risk of tsunami wave. My question cencern local warning system. If in case of any risk I can expect worning, early enough to escape on any safe place?
      ZN

more
    • Sri Lanka travel itinerary

Sri Lanka Apr 16, 2014 at 9:47 AM

Hi guys! I know am asking a very vague question but could help me in planning itinerary for my expected tour to Sri Lanka.

Am looking to travel there sometime in Jan or Feb 2015 (I know I have started planning to early), I searched various travel sites and most of them have similar itinerary as below:
      Day 01 : Colombo - Kelaniya - Colombo
      Day 02 : Colombo - Pinnawala - Dambulla
      Day 03 : Dambulla - Sigiriya - Matale - Kandy
      Day 04 : Kandy - Peradeniya - Kandy
      Day 05 : Kandy - Hakgala - Nuwara Eliya
      Day 06 : Nuwara Eliya - Bentota
      Day 07 : Bentota - Departure from Colombo

I don't know much about the country, so am not sure if the above cities/places and days are enough to see Sri Lanka. Can someone help me.

Also noticed that no company includes Jaffna. I would like to visit as have heard a lot about it but is it advisable to go there?

more
    • Best non-surf beach in September

Southern Province Yesterday

We're going to be in Sri Lanka in September and we're looking for a beach that is not too rough to spend about 5 days. This is the 'nicer' part of our trip, so we're looking for somewhere nice to stay (though not necessarily a resort, smaller more boutiquey places are our preference). We've been looking at Bentota, Hikkaduwa and Mirissa... but a bit confused as to which one would be best for us ...

5 Answers 6 hours ago
    • tsunami warning system in sri lanka

Sri Lanka Apr 18, 2014 at 12:57 AM

Hi,
      Sri Lanka cost have a risk of tsunami wave. My question cencern local warning system. If in case of any risk I can expect worning, early enough to escape on any safe place?
      ZN

8 Answers Apr 19, 2014 at 9:25 AM
    • Sri Lanka travel itinerary

Sri Lanka Apr 16, 2014 at 9:47 AM

Hi guys! I know am asking a very vague question but could help me in planning itinerary for my expected tour to Sri Lanka.

Am looking to travel there sometime in Jan or Feb 2015 (I know I have started planning to early), I searched various travel sites and most of them have similar itinerary as below:
      Day 01 : Colombo - Kelaniya - Colombo
      Day 02 : Colombo - Pinnawala - Dambulla
      Day 03 : Dambulla - Sigiriya - Matale - Kandy
      Day 04 : Kandy - Peradeniya - Kandy
      Day 05 : Kandy - Hakgala - Nuwara Eliya
      Day 06 : Nuwara Eliya - Bentota
      Day 07 : Bentota - Departure from Colombo

I don't know much about the country, so am not sure if the above cities/places and days are enough to see Sri Lanka. Can someone help me.

Also noticed that no company includes Jaffna. I would like to visit as have heard a lot about it but is it advisable to go there?

10 Answers 7 hours ago
    • Sri Lanka in July - who wants to join us?

Sri Lanka Apr 16, 2014 at 12:50 AM

Hi all we are 40+ couple from Poland and we will be in Sri Lanka from the 1st of July till 23rd. We plan to make a tour during the first 6 days and than go to the East and stay there two remaining weeks. We are looking for company to join us in our trip. Let me know if interested :)

2 Answers Apr 16, 2014 at 9:02 PM
    • A swimwear/ bikini shop in Unawatuna

Unawatuna Apr 8, 2014 at 8:57 PM

Hi, I am arriving from Rishikesh, in north India. Are there any shops close by Unawatuna for swimwear?

3 Answers Apr 8, 2014 at 10:40 PM
    • August Itinerary - HELP NEEDED

Sri Lanka Apr 6, 2014 at 10:09 AM

Hello all. I am planning a 15 day trip in August for myself and my boyfriend (both mid 20s). Please can you let me know your thoughts on whether it's feasible (or if we're missing something important?). We want a good balance of beach, exploring local cultures & authentic food. Our priorities are at least one beautiful beach resort (weather permitting) with luxury accommodation, one safari experience (with tree hut lodge stays), and some great local food / markets. We would enjoy some evening nightlife for some of the trip too. Our plan so far is:

Colombo - head straight to Negombo for 2 nights
      Kandy for 3 nights
      Nuwara Eliya for 2 nights
      Yala National Park for 2 nights
      Ella for 1 night
      Beach Resort (Tangalle / Mirissa) for 4 nights
      Galle for 1 night
      Train to Colombo for flight home

3 Answers Apr 18, 2014 at 4:41 AM
    • List of Halal food in Sri lanka

Sri Lanka Mar 31, 2014 at 9:46 AM

I'll be travelling in sri lanka soon. Therefore would be glad if anyone could share the list of halal eateries that they have been to. Especially to this following places:
      - pollonuwara
      - nuwara eliya
      - hambantuta
      - galle
      - colombo

Appreciate your kind help.

3 Answers Apr 1, 2014 at 2:46 AM
    • Airport shuttle

Bentota Mar 28, 2014 at 6:10 AM

Can anyone suggest a good taxi firm that runs a service from Bentota to Colombo airport?

Thanks

Gary

2 Answers Apr 18, 2014 at 8:08 AM

2 Answers Mar 25, 2014 at 1:12 AM

4 Answers Mar 27, 2014 at 6:12 AM
    • MichelleA28's Profile Photo

Car and driver

Sri Lanka Mar 16, 2014 at 5:41 AM

Hi all i have booked a car and driver via my travel agent for when we tour srilanka for 5 days, has anyone done this and is it a good idea.

16 Answers Mar 17, 2014 at 2:50 AM
    • Help please with where to stop on the East Coast/ Cultural Triangle

Sri Lanka Mar 13, 2014 at 2:13 PM

My family (2 adults & 2 children aged 7 & 11) are spending 18 days in Sri Lanka in April. We have hired a mini van with a driver. Whilst I have roughly planned where we want to go, I could really do with some further advice on how exactly to spend the middle part of the trip.

We plan to stay at Sinharaja rainforest (3 nights) , Uda Walawe (2 nights). Then we have seven days to go across to and up the east coast and across the Cultural Triangle before reaching Wilpatti ( 2 nights) and finally Kalpatiya for 4 nights.

It is the middle seven days I'm not sure about. Ideally I would like to do Arugam Bay, Batticaloa/Kulkudah /Passikudah area and Trincomalee (or beach nearby) as well as at least one of the ancient cities but I'm not sure with only 7 days we could plan this to have enough time in each place to enjoy them properly.

Should I bother with Trinco or just leave it out and leave the coast north of Batticaloa to cross directly to Polonnaruwa? On the other hand we could do 2 nights in each of the coastal locations and one in the Cultural Triangle and try to squeeze it all in. Another option is to drive straight up from Arugam Bay all the way to Trincomalee in one day with out stopping in Batticaloa/Kulkudah /Passikudah, There seem to be a few excellent, but very expensive resort type hotels in this area and not a lot else on the accommodation front. I believe the northern end of the journey has recently been greatly improved with the building of bridges. Can anyone tell me how long the drive from Arugam Bay to Trinco is likely to take now?

Part of me would really like to go to Trinco as my father, who is now 83, was stationed there with the British navy in the 1950's, loved it and would really me to report back on how it's doing, but on the other hand maybe something has to go! Then theres that old question Polonnaruwa or Anuradhapura or both?!

This is our second trip to Sri Lanka. We went in 2012 and visited Pinnawala, Sigiriya, Drambula, Kandy, Ella, Yala, Mirissa and Hikkaduwa which is why none of these places are on the list.

Any thoughts/ advice on this would be very much appreciated.

5 Answers Mar 24, 2014 at 8:07 AM
    • Weather conditions in the south during april

Sri Lanka Mar 11, 2014 at 1:32 PM

Hi,

Ill be travelling to sri lanka at the start of April this year. Im looking to travel to the south of the country around April the 7th to the 18th, with the aim of visiting a few beaches and the Yala national park and then up to Kandy.

I would really appreciate some advice on what the weather conditions in the south will be during this time period, as im worried about the monsoon and rain ruining the trip!

Thanks

3 Answers Mar 24, 2014 at 8:07 AM
    • Cheap accommodation in Kandy

Kandy Mar 3, 2014 at 1:12 AM

Hi All,

I'm from Australia and looking for some budget accommodation in Kandy Sri Lanka. was going through most travel sites and narrowed down to a few. I was wondering if anyone has stayed at this place called Sedevo Chalets? They offer private bungalows and looks pretty decent. Or what other place/s would you recommend with similar setup?
      Thanks
      Alicia

8 Answers Apr 18, 2014 at 8:08 AM
    • Contact research

Sri Lanka Mar 2, 2014 at 2:57 PM

Hi everyone,

we are two french pharmacy students and we would like, with a great motivation, to bring an help (medical, school...) in a Sri Lanka orphenage, on summer 2014.

We search a lot on internet but without result and we would'nt like to pay to be volunteer (steep prices !!).

So, we would like to know if it would be possible to make directly contact with an orphenage ? We could know their real needs.

We thank you so much for your precious help that you could bring us !

Have a nice night !

Justine and Astrid

6 Answers Apr 18, 2014 at 4:41 AM
    • VISION LANKA TOURS

Sri Lanka Feb 28, 2014 at 12:45 PM

Hello! Anyone have an experience using Vision Lanka tours? I am seeking a recommendation for a driver with car for a 12 day tour of the country. Thanks.

• Travelling around Sri Lanka

Sri Lanka Feb 28, 2014 at 3:31 AM

Hello
      I'm going travelling around Sri Lanka for 2 weeks and then going on to do a 5 week volunteer project. I'm in the middle of planning what to take and spending money. Does anyone recommend anything? Also can anyone recommend how expensive things are over there and how much would be a comfortable spending allowance for one/ two meals a day, small travel and shopping? All tips are welcome!!!!!

14 Answers Apr 20, 2014 at 7:55 AM
    • Ludie69's Profile Photo

Long stay self catering accomadation

Sri Lanka Feb 27, 2014 at 3:40 PM

Hoping and preying to make it to Sri Lanka possibly around Unawatuna in Feb 2015 for at least a month, with a view to extending my regular stays as time goes on. Would love to hear any help and advice Looking at about £1000 - £1500 (might safe up more! ) per month for small flat house sleep 2+
      I would really appreciate anyone's help Thank you

6 Answers Mar 27, 2014 at 12:58 PM
    • aymank's Profile Photo

April weather

Sri Lanka Feb 18, 2014 at 1:38 AM

Hi, how is the weather in Sri Lanka in April? I saw it can vary quite a bit from one place to the other and depends a lot on the time of the year as well.
      We are in between going to the cultural triangle or south east to yalla and the surrounding beaches.
      Thanks

• bus from dambulla to colombo fort

Dambulla Feb 9, 2014 at 6:37 AM

Is i possible to take a direct bus from Sigiriya or Dambulla to Colombo Fort station? I have tried to find a bus plan, but did not succeed. It looks as if we maybe can grab a bus passing through from Trincomalee ? If this is correct, what time, and how often do the bus stop in Dambulla and what is the driving time to Colombo approxemately ? (We are planning to travel to Bentota by train the same day). Hope someone can help with information

7 Answers Feb 9, 2014 at 7:55 PM
    • sha55's Profile Photo

Galle Treatments

Sri Lanka Feb 7, 2014 at 2:28 PM

Hello again,
      I will also be in Galle for a few days. Does anybody know of anywhere offering good but reasonably priced Ayurvedic treatments please?
      Many thanks

7 Answers Mar 24, 2014 at 8:07 AM
    • sha55's Profile Photo

Adams peak

Sri Lanka Feb 7, 2014 at 2:25 PM

Hello,
      I will be in Sri Lanka in a couple of weeks time. I intend to climb AdamdPeak to see the sunrise. How strenuous/ difficult is it to climb?
      Many thanks.

4 Answers Mar 24, 2014 at 8:07 AM
    • Festivals in Negombo

Sri Lanka Feb 7, 2014 at 1:19 PM

Hi,
      I stay in Negombo from 17th February-5th March 2014. In this period are held Buddhist or Hindu festivals and where?
      Or other recommendations for events.
      Thank you.

• where is averiwatte bus station?

Negombo Feb 4, 2014 at 11:20 PM

where to get bus from airport to negombo?

2 Answers Feb 5, 2014 at 5:44 AM
    • RuthP12's Profile Photo

avani hotel

Kalutara Jan 27, 2014 at 1:44 PM

Hi we are coming in August to Sri Lanka for the first time staying at the Avani. Does anyone know is there a shuttle boat that takes people to Kalutara? What are the top things to do and see in the area??

Thanks
      Ruth

• akamaial's Profile Photo

re: budget apartment/studio rentals

Sri Lanka Jan 27, 2014 at 12:02 AM

My intent is to live on Sri Lanka for 6 mos to a year, and I'm looking for clean comfortable quarters such as studio type residence that I can lease/rent on a mo. to mo. or 1/4 ly basis. . . a mean average would be most helpful in planning a budget. . any reliable sources? . . or is feet on the ground and search it yourself the norm?

9 Answers Mar 24, 2014 at 8:07 AM

Livings Ouarters

Sri Lanka Jan 26, 2014 at 10:14 PM

I like what I hear of Sri Lanka's beauty and culture. . . what I am apprehensive about though is living there on a ritiree's fixed and limited budget. What or where is a good source re: housing (preferably a studio)?

7 Answers Jan 27, 2014 at 7:10 PM
    • Early morning transport - Colombo airport to Bentota or Galle

Sri Lanka Jan 26, 2014 at 12:51 AM

Hi everyone,
      We arrive at 3:15 AM in Colombo airport and would like to travel straight to the coast (Bentota or Galle).
      What are our options? Are there buses going from the airport to the coast, or do we need to pass via Colombo?
      I saw a guy advertising taxi rides to the south for about 40€. Does this seem right and feasible to you?
      Many thanks in advance for your answers!!
      sien

11 Answers Feb 26, 2014 at 7:15 PM
    • West Coast Sri Lanka i.e. Bentota

Bentota Jan 25, 2014 at 12:24 AM

When is the best time to go to Bentota Sri lanka

7 Answers Mar 24, 2014 at 8:07 AM

Entry Visa & extensions

Colombo Jan 24, 2014 at 10:05 PM

How long is Sri Lanka's entry visa good for & can one get visa extensions up to a year?

5 Answers Jan 29, 2014 at 3:59 AM