Sri Lanka Travel Answers

change location
mosh929's Profile Photo

48 Hr. Sri Lanka Transit visa..will they make a fuss if you leave late?

by mosh929 Online Now Jan 29, 2013 at 1:25 AM

Greetings everyone,

I am flying into Colombo Sat. am and leaving Monday pm.
I will be there for altogether around 58 hours...does anyone know if they will make a fuss and demand I pay for the full visa or would I be fined?

If the visa is for two days and I receive it on Saturday, there wouldn't be a problem since I am leaving Monday...the question is, do they write the hours down upon receival of transit visa?

Thanking anyone and everyone in advance!!!

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • erikdr's Profile Photo

Re: 48 Hr. Sri Lanka Transit visa..will they make a fuss if you leave late?

by erikdr Online Now Jan 29, 2013 at 4:56 AM

Hi there,

What I heard from other travellers who applied for the transit ETA on arrival is that the ETA staff asked for their onward e-ticket, which proofs that it's within 48 hours. So that's not a route which would 'work' for you.
    Better yourself check the exact questions on the ETA website, whether these are about dates or hours. If they're about hours you would need to commit fraud to get a free ETA. But what they stamp in the passport _generally_ is about dates not hours, that's all I can say...

All the best,

& [Sandya]

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • ViajesdelMundo's Profile Photo

by ViajesdelMundo Online Now Jan 29, 2013 at 8:04 AM

I fully commisserate with you; BUT as mentioned, if you are trying to get around rules if the authorities disagree about with you;as the FINES can be VERY heavy, so try not to get overly wrapped around a relatively few Rupees if it doesn't work out.

• HansDK's Profile Photo

by HansDK Online Now Jan 29, 2013 at 8:40 PM

I doubt SL Immigration will issue a 48 hrs free transit when your documents state that that you will be staying 58 hrs.

I suggest you apply for 72 hours transit visa either online (USD 20) or at the airport (USD 25).

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Sri Lanka Travel Answer Locations