Sri Lanka Travel Answers

change location
AllThingsShining's Profile Photo

Ferry from India to Sri Lanka (again!)

by AllThingsShining Online Now Jan 26, 2013 at 6:20 AM

I'm sure this topic has been done to death but I was wondering if anyone had used Raja Travels for their ferry service between Tuticorin and Colombo? My brother and I are currently traveling down through India and are due to fly out of Colombo back to Heathrow at the end of March. We're hoping not to have to pay the cost of the flight so if anyone has any useful information regarding this ferry service I would be extremely grateful. The link for the service is here: rajatravelstuticorin.com/shi....
Thanks in advance for any help

Aaron

Quote & Answer
5 Answers
  • ViajesdelMundo's Profile Photo

Re: Ferry from India to Sri Lanka (again!)

by ViajesdelMundo Online Now Jan 26, 2013 at 9:29 AM

can't really give you an answer on this one and have not seen it in the Forums before, and in all my yrs going to Lanka am not aware of this service....maybe you could find out better from other travellers while in India?

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Maxus's Profile Photo

by Maxus Online Now Jan 26, 2013 at 2:01 PM

There was briefly a ferry service between Tuticorin and Colombo but it stopped running for various financial reasons in 2011 and there's currently no signs of it starting again. The railway line to Talimannar is being rebuilt and services from there to Rameshwaram may begin again once the harbour is repaired but that won't be this year. Sorry but it's flights only for now.
    Regards
    Mark

• HansDK's Profile Photo

by HansDK Online Now Jan 26, 2013 at 8:35 PM

Maxus is correct.

The ferry was suspended from November 2011 and rumours in Indian newspaper that the ferry would re-start in March/April 2012 did not hold water. There are no ferries between India and Sri Lanka at the moment.

The above website is out of date.

• mehulraj's Profile Photo

by mehulraj Online Now Jan 27, 2013 at 12:21 AM

I live in Tuticorin, this is not the official website for ship's booking, 'Raja travels" are just agent who will help you for your booking. but unfortunately this ship is not operating now and I am sure it will never operate in future because of indian politician...

I hardly see they open office..its almost closed all the time. dont even think of booking any other tickets with them

• AllThingsShining's Profile Photo

by AllThingsShining Online Now Jan 30, 2013 at 7:39 AM

Excellent, thanks for your help guys! Guess I better get looking at flights.

Aaron

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Sri Lanka Travel Answer Locations