Sri Lanka Travel Answers

change location

Ahungalla Animal Park

by Julie77 Online Now Jul 5, 2004 at 8:10 AM

Hello, I've just been reading something on the web about an animal park in Ahungalla. As I am staying too far away from the national parks to visit as a day trip I thought it might be nice to see the animal park. Does anyone know if it is worth going to? I know it will be nothing like the national parks but it was just a thought incase we have any spare time on our hands.

Quote & Answer
5 Answers
  • Nilanka's Profile Photo

Re: Ahungalla Animal Park

by Nilanka Online Now Jul 5, 2004 at 8:56 AM

Hi Julie, Please dont visit this mini zoo in Ahungalla as the animals here are all drugged for the enjoyment of humans. A few years ago a lion bit a small child and almost killed him. I personally dont feel that such big animals shuold be kept in cages for the size of a car. Cheers, Nilanka

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • freya_heaven's Profile Photo

Re: Ahungalla Animal Park

by freya_heaven Online Now Jul 5, 2004 at 11:57 AM

We were taken here by our Tuk Tuk Driver, they do not have big animals here any more, since the lion incident, just birds. I personally would not recommend this place, it really is not very impressive, plus I dont think much of caging birds. Do the river boat trip at Beruwala which is not far from you, to see some of the local wildlife, also a popular (if long) trip to the elephant orphanages at Pinnewala are well worth it & wonderful. Many people as we did stay overnight. Have a great trip, Sri Lanka is a wonderful country Happy Travels Nicola (~_~)

• Re: Re: Ahungalla Animal Park

by Julie77 Online Now Jul 6, 2004 at 2:51 AM

Thanks Nilanka, I definately will NOT be going to the animal park. I also do not agree with keeping animals in small cages if any at all. I had no idea it would be like that, I thought it might have been like zoo's in our country where the animals are not restricted by space too much. I really do wish that we had been able to visit one of the national parks although most of our 1 week holiday will be taken up with other things. We have a river safari one day, a village tuc tuc tour on another, getting married (most importantly), trip to elephant orphange and Kandy and if we can make time we may go to Galle. It's a good job we booked our following week holiday in the Maldives as we will more than likely need the break after that lot. Also thanks to Nicola for the tips, we are already going to the elephant orphange which I have also heard is a wonderful experience and we are doing the river safari as part of our wedding package so I suppose I dont really need to go and see those poor animals in the zoo, I would probably get quite upset anyway and I'd want to set them all free.

• Nilanka's Profile Photo

Re: Re: Ahungalla Animal Park

by Nilanka Online Now Jul 6, 2004 at 5:14 AM

Whats the village tuk tuk thing?

• Re: Re: Ahungalla Animal Park

by Julie77 Online Now Jul 6, 2004 at 5:52 AM

As part of the wedding package at the Triton we get a village tour on a decorated Tuk Tuk, didn't pay much attention to it to be honest I was more interested in the others things we get like fireworks and dancers and drummers.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Sri Lanka Travel Answer Locations