change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• Christmas in Sri lanka with kids

by Rosapow Online Now Nov 22, 2014 at 3:47 PM

Hello,

We are going to Srilanka for three weeks with kids (8,10) where would be a good place to send Christmas? Mirissa?

We were thinking beach, mountains, wildlife park and elephants. What order woud you suggest from a transport point of view? considering a mix of budget and more expensive.

Any tips really/recommendations would be very gratefully received.

Rosa

more

Hello,

We are going to Srilanka for three weeks with kids (8,10) where would be a good place to send Christmas? Mirissa?

We were thinking beach, mountains, wildlife park and elephants. What order woud you suggest from a transport point of view? considering a mix of budget and more expensive.

Rosa

more
    • massot's Profile Photo

SRI LANKA, 14 days in January

by massot Online Now Nov 26, 2014 at 4:25 AM

Probably from 10 to 24 January. Arriving from Qatar, our first visit (we live in Barcelona).
      Also we wont to stay a few days (5-6) in Maldives, and it seems than the best way is a return trip from Colombo.
      What visits do you advice in SLanka? Cities, NP or nature, people, temples,...
      Going around the country, is a good idea to rent a car? IIs it better the train and bus and some taxi or that is too hard (I am 70, in good condition!, travelling with my wife, also fit for the age).
      Do you know a good agency, just to ask for a private travel, and to know prices?
      Thanks, my friends, for any help
      Dr. Roma Massot. Barcelona.
      26th November 2014

more
    • massot's Profile Photo

SRI LANKA, 14 days in January

by massot Online Now Nov 26, 2014 at 4:25 AM

Probably from 10 to 24 January. Arriving from Qatar, our first visit (we live in Barcelona).
      Also we wont to stay a few days (5-6) in Maldives, and it seems than the best way is a return trip from Colombo.
      What visits do you advice in SLanka? Cities, NP or nature, people, temples,...
      Going around the country, is a good idea to rent a car? IIs it better the train and bus and some taxi or that is too hard (I am 70, in good condition!, travelling with my wife, also fit for the age).
      Do you know a good agency, just to ask for a private travel, and to know prices?
      Thanks, my friends, for any help
      Dr. Roma Massot. Barcelona.
      26th November 2014

26 Answers Dec 1, 2014 at 1:30 AM

Hello,

Rosa

1 Answer Nov 22, 2014 at 11:20 PM

Hello,

Rosa

1 Answer Nov 22, 2014 at 10:44 PM
    • squash05's Profile Photo

Seamstress / Tailor for ladies casual dress

by squash05 Online Now Sep 30, 2014 at 10:37 AM

Hi all VT - Travelling to SIr Lanka ans was hoping to get a dress copied . Any suggestions on where to get fabric - cheese cloth - Lycra - cotton knit for a ladies dress also any suggestions on who can make it. Many thanks

1 Answer Sep 30, 2014 at 9:17 PM
    • club bentota

by SamHickmer Online Now Sep 9, 2014 at 4:16 AM

Club Bentota is there nearby shops for Booze and Cigarettes or will i need to source a taxi?>

3 Answers Sep 15, 2014 at 12:23 AM
    • oxoboxo's Profile Photo

Transport options from Colombo Bandaranaike International Airport to Negombo

by oxoboxo Online Now Aug 17, 2014 at 3:21 PM

Can anyone suggest what transport options would be available when arriving in Sri Lanka at 12.15am to get us from the airport to Negombo. at that time of the morning.
      Any suggestion welcome.

Many Thanks
      Christopher

4 Answers Aug 18, 2014 at 3:42 AM
    • Ideas for a beach stay - 5 days free in Sri Lanka

by janineoz Online Now Jun 15, 2014 at 7:55 PM

Hi, we are 2 ladies visiting Sri Lanka from Australia in late August and have 5 days for a beach break before going on a tour around the country to see the main sights. We will be spending the first few days in Hikkaduwa so will travel from there, before starting the tour in Negombo.
      Any suggestions of where would be good to spend these 5 free days at that time of year? We are happy to get off the beaten track a little but prefer to spend it by the sea, a little relaxation and maybe some hiking and diving as well. We would like to experience more than just the areas dedicated to tourists and see the real Sri Lanka. Happy to travel around but this may prove challenging in the short amount of time we have.
      Any advice would be much appreciated! Cheers

7 Answers Jul 29, 2014 at 3:55 AM
    • Qs about Cultural Triangle

by kormo Online Now Jun 7, 2014 at 6:10 AM

Cultural Triangle question

16 December 2011, 20:14

What do you suggest as visiting Cultural Triangle for two nights, We want to visit Sigirya but not climb to the top so a Cultural Triangle ticket seems pointless as we do not really want to fill our entire time with ruins (not our favourite pastime). But we do love wildlife and birdwatching. We are visiting Yala and Bundala as well so a safari might be a bit of overkill. We are really looking for interesting activities that have a bit of peace and quiet and a chance to walk and spot birds and wildlife.We think we might do Dambulla caves as well which look interesting and would give us a flavour of the Buddhist culture. But what else?

3 Answers Jun 8, 2014 at 9:01 PM
    • Buying a used car and employing a temporary driver for one month?

by Britontour Online Now May 3, 2014 at 6:35 AM

I think this will work out well for a small group or family: I was wondering why they should not buy their own car (or people carrier or van), hire a driver and go wherever they want to go, then sell the car at whatever price that's offered, or give it to the driver as his wages!) Diesel at a price of about Rs. 120 per litre,and at a conservative economy of 8 km/litre the fuel cost could be Rs 15/km. Driver wages Rs. 1200 per day? For 1 month Rs. 36 000, call it 50 000 including tips (National average is 43 000) . Vehicle cost Rs 1 00 000. (£500, at Rs 200/£ exchange rate ). If one travels 200km per day for 30 days, it's 6000 km total, costing Rs. 90 000 .
      Summary:
      Car 100 000
      Driver 50 000
      Fuel 90 000
      Incidental 10 000
      Total 250 000
      Minus 50 000 from sale of vehicle,

Overall cost 200 000

4 people sharing, Rs 50 000 per person, or £250 pp for 30 days, working out at just over £8 per day for travelling.

A lot depends on the honesty of the people involved.

Has anyone in VT dared doing it? Is the hassle worth it? If not, why not? If yes, is my estimate right?

9 Answers Jun 26, 2014 at 8:31 PM
    • neats1966's Profile Photo

weather, risk of cyclone,

by neats1966 Online Now Apr 28, 2014 at 1:54 PM

we are planning to visit sri lanka early january and concerned about the risk of cyclones/ bad weather. which part of sri lanka is considered the warmest/driest part in january to visit?

6 Answers Apr 29, 2014 at 10:38 PM
    • Colombo-Unawatuna-Yala National Park

by zlayman Online Now Apr 28, 2014 at 10:34 AM

Can someone tell me how long it takes from Colombo airport to hotel in Unawatuna and from Unawatuna to Yala National Park.
      Am looking to spend a day trip from Unawatuna to Yala National Park.

Thanks

3 Answers Apr 29, 2014 at 8:46 AM
    • tsunami warning system in sri lanka

by Zygmunt63 Online Now Apr 18, 2014 at 12:57 AM

Hi,
      Sri Lanka cost have a risk of tsunami wave. My question cencern local warning system. If in case of any risk I can expect worning, early enough to escape on any safe place?
      ZN

8 Answers Apr 19, 2014 at 9:25 AM
    • MichelleA28's Profile Photo

Car and driver

by MichelleA28 Online Now Mar 16, 2014 at 5:41 AM

Hi all i have booked a car and driver via my travel agent for when we tour srilanka for 5 days, has anyone done this and is it a good idea.

17 Answers Jul 30, 2014 at 8:12 PM
    • aymank's Profile Photo

April weather

by aymank Online Now Feb 18, 2014 at 1:38 AM

Hi, how is the weather in Sri Lanka in April? I saw it can vary quite a bit from one place to the other and depends a lot on the time of the year as well.
      We are in between going to the cultural triangle or south east to yalla and the surrounding beaches.
      Thanks

5 Answers Mar 24, 2014 at 8:07 AM
    • sha55's Profile Photo

Galle Treatments

by sha55 Online Now Feb 7, 2014 at 2:28 PM

Hello again,
      I will also be in Galle for a few days. Does anybody know of anywhere offering good but reasonably priced Ayurvedic treatments please?
      Many thanks

7 Answers Mar 24, 2014 at 8:07 AM
    • sha55's Profile Photo

Adams peak

by sha55 Online Now Feb 7, 2014 at 2:25 PM

Hello,
      I will be in Sri Lanka in a couple of weeks time. I intend to climb AdamdPeak to see the sunrise. How strenuous/ difficult is it to climb?
      Many thanks.

4 Answers Mar 24, 2014 at 8:07 AM
    • Festivals in Negombo

by robg22 Online Now Feb 7, 2014 at 1:19 PM

Hi,
      I stay in Negombo from 17th February-5th March 2014. In this period are held Buddhist or Hindu festivals and where?
      Or other recommendations for events.
      Thank you.

3 Answers Mar 24, 2014 at 8:07 AM
    • akamaial's Profile Photo

re: budget apartment/studio rentals

by akamaial Online Now Jan 27, 2014 at 12:02 AM

My intent is to live on Sri Lanka for 6 mos to a year, and I'm looking for clean comfortable quarters such as studio type residence that I can lease/rent on a mo. to mo. or 1/4 ly basis. . . a mean average would be most helpful in planning a budget. . any reliable sources? . . or is feet on the ground and search it yourself the norm?

9 Answers Mar 24, 2014 at 8:07 AM
    • akamaial's Profile Photo

Livings Ouarters

by akamaial Online Now Jan 26, 2014 at 10:14 PM

I like what I hear of Sri Lanka's beauty and culture. . . what I am apprehensive about though is living there on a ritiree's fixed and limited budget. What or where is a good source re: housing (preferably a studio)?

7 Answers Jan 27, 2014 at 7:10 PM
    • Masha_M's Profile Photo

paying in rupees or USD/Euro

by Masha_M Online Now Jan 23, 2014 at 4:36 AM

Do you always pay in rupees or do they sometimes prefer USD or Euros, eg. some hotels/guesthouses, car hire or safari tours?
      Thanks a lot.

15 Answers Mar 24, 2014 at 6:37 AM
    • Touring the entire Sri Lanka by bus!

by Britontour Online Now Jan 19, 2014 at 6:23 PM

Has anyone done this? Can you share your experiences here please?

11 Answers Jan 26, 2014 at 4:46 AM
    • Ayuverdic hospital/spa

by Stephan123 Online Now Jan 19, 2014 at 12:30 AM

I will be going to Sri Lanka in mid February for a month and I was wondering if anybody can recommend a good place which focuses on good ayuverdic treatments. Doing a lot research online it is rather difficult to distinguish between holiday resorts that offer the treatments and proper centres that have competent doctors and good treatments. The places I have found so far are: Pilapitiya Ayurveda, Sign of Life, lotus Villa, Ulpotha, Kingdom Resort andVattergarden. Does anybody have a suggestion?
      Thanks

6 Answers Mar 24, 2014 at 8:07 AM
    • Adam's Peak

by mikesimojoki Online Now Jan 17, 2014 at 10:47 PM

Without staying in Dalhousie, is there a way to climb AP? Such as a bus from Kandi, climb, and a bus back to Kandi.

2 Answers Feb 7, 2014 at 8:36 AM
    • Vavuniya to Jaffna Train Service

by Britontour Online Now Dec 12, 2013 at 4:04 PM

The Vavuniya - Jaffna railway line was being laid the last time I was there. (1) Up to which part in Northern Sri Lanka are trains running now? (2) Where can I get a timetable for this line?

2 Answers Jan 24, 2014 at 2:22 AM
    • malin_flying's Profile Photo

Nuwara Eliya

by malin_flying Online Now Dec 12, 2013 at 7:24 AM

Im planing to go to Nuwara Eliya on 27 Dec morning by train 1st class. anyone wanna join. contact me asap.

• ZoeK7's Profile Photo

Local help!

by ZoeK7 Online Now Dec 5, 2013 at 12:55 PM

Im travelling to Sri Lanka from UK for the xmas period... my first ever visit to Lanka! Looking for people that are also travelling there for Christmas and NY and also any advice on where to meet new friends and what to see! Im very outdooesy, love scuba'in and surfing! Hoping to travel right down south. Thanks :)

10 Answers Dec 28, 2013 at 10:34 AM
    • sha55's Profile Photo

Rabies inoculation

by sha55 Online Now Nov 23, 2013 at 7:43 AM

We have had conflicting information regarding having Rabies jabs for our trip in Feb/March 2014.
      Can anyone advise please?

15 Answers Feb 7, 2014 at 8:36 AM
    • Johartmadhouse's Profile Photo

Can you travel as front passenger

by Johartmadhouse Online Now Nov 23, 2013 at 2:20 AM

We are off to Sri Lanka at the end of Jan , I'm slightly concerned about the sightseeing & travelling to & from the airport as I get travel sick in Cars unless I am a front seat passenger , was wondering if you are allowed to travel as a front seat passenger in the private car hire/ taxi's , many thanks ...

11 Answers Feb 7, 2014 at 8:36 AM
    • Masha_M's Profile Photo

Climbing Sigiriya with a 2 year old?

by Masha_M Online Now Nov 21, 2013 at 12:25 AM

Would it be possible to do the climb with a two year old attached to your back? What is the track like? Not too narrow, not too steep? (My husband is very fit.) Thanks for your input.

3 Answers Nov 21, 2013 at 1:39 AM
    • NorainS's Profile Photo

Srilanka 10 days

by NorainS Online Now Nov 18, 2013 at 10:28 PM

what I can do in 10 days ?

7 Answers Feb 7, 2014 at 8:36 AM