Sri Lanka Travel Answers

change location
aga_i's Profile Photo

Transport from Airport to Kosgoda

by aga_i Online Now Feb 18, 2012 at 5:02 AM

Hi,
I need to get from the airport to Kosgoda early in the morning next Sunday. What time is the first direct bus or train? How much will I pay for the taxi?
Thank you in advance

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • erikdr's Profile Photo

Re: Transport from Airport to Kosgoda

by erikdr Online Now Feb 18, 2012 at 6:45 AM

Hi there,

No direct buses or trains into existence. Currently even no trains to Kosgoda at all, there are railway works between Kalutara and Galle for some months.

Taxi would set you back around Rs 8,000 and would not cost more than 2.5 hours or so middle of the night. Buses from airport to Colombo do go at night (187, first a free shuttle bus needed to bus stand) but infrequent. Buses Colombo-Kosgoda start around 5:30 AM and would take 2 hours for THAT part early in the morning.

All the best,

& [Sandya]

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • HansDK's Profile Photo

by HansDK Online Now Feb 18, 2012 at 6:55 AM

There are no direct buses/trains from the airport to Kosgoda.

The coastal railway on goes as far as Kalutara South at the moment due to track renovations, so your only option is buses - which are are not suited for large luggage (hard-case suitcases), a medium size backpack is maximum.

If you opt for buses you will first have to take the free shuttle bus (runs 3 times per hour) from the northeastern end of the pavement outside the airport to Katunayake bus stand. Then it is bus # 187 to Colombo, and finally a # 2 bus bound for either Ambalangoda, Galle or Matara to Kosgoda.

A taxi will cost approx. LKR 7,500.

• aga_i's Profile Photo

by aga_i Online Now Feb 18, 2012 at 7:00 AM

Thank you both, I was not aware of the railway works. In that case I will probably decide on taxi as I am traveling with big luggage an unfortunately broken ankle.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines