Sri Lanka Travel Answers

change location

Sri Lankan weather

by flashbang Online Now May 18, 2006 at 7:49 AM

Hello! Some friends and I are travelling to Sri Lanka next October, and I was wondering what weather we can expect. We're visiting the more mountainous area, which I think is in the north, but can't be sure, as my geography is apalling. I've had a look on the web, but I can't seem to find a clear account of average weather in October, so would be extremely grateful for any information.
This is especially important to me as i have a nagging feeling it may be monsoon season...
Any recommendations for clothing/essentials would also be helpful, and gratefully received.
Thanks!
x

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • erikdr's Profile Photo

RE: Sri Lankan weather

by erikdr Online Now May 18, 2006 at 7:56 AM

Hi there,

North is not mountains, for sure. Probably meaning Kandy and Eliya.

Both have quite stable weather over the year - there is no seasonal monsoon influence as this touches the coasts mostly. Kandy 25' daytime and 15-20' night, Eliya 8-20' day and 0-5' nighttime.

Clothing should follow these temperatures. Take cotton or linen for Kandy, not polyester, as humidity is still high there (60% or so) whilst Colombo is 95%.

Have a nice time,

& [Sandya]

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • RE: RE: Sri Lankan weather

by flashbang Online Now May 18, 2006 at 8:12 AM

Thankee kindly, good sir. I shouldn't be allowed out of the country, my geography is so terrible.Thanks for the information/advice!

• Maxus's Profile Photo

RE: Sri Lankan weather

by Maxus Online Now May 19, 2006 at 3:31 AM

It can get surprisingly cold in the Hill Country particularly at night and you need to balance what you want to carry around with you against what you might need to keep out the chill, I actually bought myself a pullover in Ella, it was not expensive and it worked a treat (I even had to sleep in it).

Sri Lanka is beautiful whatever the weather, the European winter is still the best time to visit the west of the island for sun-worshippers but the weather has been unsettled in recent times and you might get rained on at any time so here are some tips to help you get through it.

On the personal front, get your haircut short, wear open shoes and dark coloured clothes (less likely to become transparent when wet) and do your best to dry yourself off as often as possible, try to keep your nooks and crannies dry at all times.

Even though it is not a dry heat you will still dehydrate and need to go on drinking lots of water. Sanitation is pretty good in Sri Lanka but the ground water you are sloshing around in may be contaminated by something unpleasant, so wash your hands before eating and shower when you get in to wash away anything nasty.

Be particularly careful with electric appliances. Do not drive into flooded washes and remember that the nice stretch of river you were floating about in yesterday might suddenly become a raging muddy torrent.

regards

Mark

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines