Sri Lanka Travel Answers

change location

Adam's Peak in November?

by bamboogirl Online Now Nov 4, 2004 at 3:36 PM

Can anyone tell me if it's possible to climb Adam's Peak in November (we'll be there the last 2 weeks)? If so, where's a good place to base ourselves, is there any particular day of the week we should/shouldn't do it, and what sort of gear do we need to bring in terms of footwear and clothing - presumably it gets cold up there at night-time?! Any advice would be great. thanks bg

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • Nilanka's Profile Photo

Re: Adam's Peak in November?

by Nilanka Online Now Nov 4, 2004 at 9:18 PM

The climbing season starts in january and I dont advice you to attempt the climb in November. The rain and the climate is not worth the climb. You could also make the 6 hour climb and have it raining and you wont be able to see anything at all. So its not worth the trouble.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • srupesh's Profile Photo

Re: Adam's Peak in November?

by srupesh Online Now Nov 4, 2004 at 11:53 PM

Hi, I too agree with Nilanka bcos its raining in Sri Lanka especially the Up-Country areas. Well u might find hard time climbing up and getting down from the hill and the view will be covered with by mist. But if you’re still interested in climbing let me give u some tips. Lodging Try to stay in hotel which very closes to Adams Peak or city near it on the previous day of your climb. And which can prepare the breakfast & other snacks early in the morning for u. Time Start climbing up very early in the morning. So you get rid of hot sun and you plenty spare time to get down and stay on top. It takes around 5-6 hrs to climb up & down. But it all depends on your speed and weather of the day. Food & Water Carry much water as u can it's really thirsting! Take some food item so u can have your lunch on the top. And take some snacks too, its good for small hunger. Clothes and other Gears Wear light color clothes white is most preferred. Wear clothes that will cover up your body and show less flesh. And also take sweet with you because some times it gets really cold out there. Take raincoat with u and also cap/hat will be help to u. An umbrella can make big difference if it’s raining or it’s really sunny up there. Good & powerful torch will helpful on dawn & dusk times. The shoe will be good choice to avoid slippery due to rain. But normally the choice would be sandals or slippers by locals. Don’t forget that u have to remove your shoe when you reach top because it's a most sacred place. Medical Items Take a small first aid box too and some tablets incase useful. Take some glucose with you is preferred (can buy it really cheap here) Normally we don’t have problems with leaches (a small creature which feeds on blood) but I’m not sure while it’s raining. Take bottle of highly dense salt water with u. If the leaches hang on your leg pour little salt water & it’ll fall away. (U can try the highly dense soap water too). Well if you need more info regarding this feel free to contact me…. Rupesh

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines