Sri Lanka Travel Answers

change location

LIVING IN SRI LANKA

by LouiseZed Online Now Apr 13, 2004 at 4:04 AM

i'm considering moving to sri lanka and had a few questions. i'm having trouble finding answers so ANY assistance would be greatly appreciated! even advice on where to go for some answers! THANK YOU -what english "free to air" TV is available in Badulla? -is the town water potable? -is teh town water reliable? -is it safe to travel in the surrounding areas? -what are the main tourist locations in the surrounding areas? -what grocery supermarkets are in Badulla? -is western bread available? -is wheat flour for bread making available? -is wine and beer available in the supermarkets? -is english spoken (and understood) in the fresh food market? -is fresh meat (beef, chicken, pork) available? -where can we get western meals? -what immunizations are required for travelers and short term residents? -are prescription medicines available? thanks

Quote & Answer
5 Answers
  • Nilanka's Profile Photo

Re: LIVING IN SRI LANKA

by Nilanka Online Now Apr 15, 2004 at 5:20 AM

Hello, Here are my answers to your querries: 1. You will be able to watch just one TV channel and that wont have anything that would interest you. So the answer here would be "no". 2. The water is potable after it has been boiled and fileterd properly. 3. Water is not reliable and water cuts should be expected during the drought seasons. Sorrounding areas had experience water cuts last month. 4. Yes it is safe to travel. 5. There are a few water falls and lovely scenery. 6. No supermarkets are available and groceries will have to be bought at the grocery shops. 7. Western bread wont be freely available but you will be able to find it. The local read is quite good. 8. Yes wheat flour will be freely available. 9. You can purchase wine and beer at local stores. 10. English would be understoon by atleast one person around you. 11. Fresh meat is freely available. 12. Immunization: sorry cant help you here. I guess the Malaria. 13. Medicines will be available. Let me know if you need more info: nilankap@sltnet.lk Cheers, Nilanka

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: LIVING IN SRI LANKA

by adventurelanka Online Now Apr 16, 2004 at 8:59 PM

ETV and Artv are both available in Badulla but you need a very powerful Antenna ro get a good picture. Tap water for drinking is generally not recommended anywhere on the Island. Yes travel is perfectly dafe in surrounding areas. Nuwara Eliya, Ella are all favourite toursity destinations around the Badulla vicinity. You get plenty of grocery shops in Badulla so you can get practically anything you want. wheat flour for bread is generally known as "American Pity" and is widely available Yes wine and beer are available in supermarkets. The people at the fresh food market may sometime understand english but might not be able to speak it. Fresh meat is available everywhere in Sri Lanka Usually Rabies is recommended but its upto you. the risk is not as severe as thought. Prescription medicines are available. You might sometimes have to settle for the generic brand if the branded ones are not available.

by Britontour Online Now Jun 18, 2013 at 9:38 AM

i'm considering moving to sri lanka and had a few questions. i'm having trouble finding answers so ANY assistance would be greatly appreciated! even advice on where to go for some answers! THANK YOU
    1. what english "free to air" TV is available in Badulla?
    I guess all channels available in Kandy should also be available in Badulla. Have a look at this:
    asiawaves.net/sri-lanka-tv.h...
    2. is the town water potable?
    I'm afraid not. Although the locals drink the water from natural sources, it is safer for foreign visitors to boil the water then cool it before drinking.
    3. is teh (the?) town water reliable?
    If you mean ' is there constant water supply?' , yes.
    4.is it safe to travel in the surrounding areas?
    Yes, people here are friendly and helpful, but you should avoid travelling late at night.
    5. what are the main tourist locations in the surrounding areas?
    Nuwara Eliya, Kandy, Badarawela, Ratnapura, and many more
    6. what grocery supermarkets are in Badulla?
    Not sure. Better to stock up from Kandy stores. There are many.
    7. is western bread available?
    Yes. Remember, Sri Lanka was a British colony.
    8. is wheat flour for bread making available?
    Yes.
    9. is wine and beer available in the supermarkets?
    Wine & beer are available in 'foreign liquor' boutiques. Not in supermarkets
    10. is english spoken (and understood) in the fresh food market?
    Most people will understand most of what you say, and some can answer your questions. Ask for someone fluent in English and who's around.
    11. is fresh meat (beef, chicken, pork) available?
    Not sure about pork. In open markets beef and chicken can be bought fresh.
    12. where can we get western meals?
    In your house. You cook it.
    13.what immunizations are required for travelers and short term residents?
    Hepatitis A, Typhoid and Malaria. You should check this with your GP.
    13.are prescription medicines available?
    Yes, in pharmacies.

thanks

• HansDK's Profile Photo

Re: LIVING IN SRI LANKA

by HansDK Online Now Jun 18, 2013 at 11:33 AM

Hmmm. You just replied to a 9+ years old thread;-)

by Britontour Online Now Jun 18, 2013 at 2:08 PM

Great finding!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines