Sri Lanka Travel Answers

change location

Sri Lanka - Dec 28th - January 10th.

by Holarika Online Now Feb 21, 2004 at 5:30 AM

6 of us are travelling to Sri Lanka at the end of the year. We would like to know which beach resort is best to stay at Beruwala, Negombo or Kalutara? And what hotels. We were looking at Tangerine Hotel, Kalutara, Royal Oceanic Hotel, Negombo & Riverina or Club Palm Garden, Beruwela. Anybody have any info on these hotesl? We dont mind basic as long as its clean. Weather in Dec/Jan Good or bad? I would be really grateful of any information you guys could give me. I know its not till the end of the year but want to get it all booked. Thanks Holarika xx

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • BerniShand's Profile Photo

Re: Sri Lanka - Dec 28th - January 10th.

by BerniShand Online Now Feb 21, 2004 at 7:56 AM

We stayed at the Club Palm Garden a few years go, its a nice hotel and the food was great, also its right on the beach and the sea temperature is wonderful. The sea is ok to swim in at Beruwela, some places its not advisable because of the currents Weather should be ok then, we went end of January nd it was very hot I hope you have a great time, its a wonderful place

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Nilanka's Profile Photo

by Nilanka Online Now Feb 22, 2004 at 2:00 AM

Hello, All the hotels you have mentioned are good and in the 3-4 star class rating. The weather will be excellent during the months you plan to come. Let me know if you require any further information. nilankap@sltnet.lk Cheers, Nilanka

• curtis-star's Profile Photo

by curtis-star Online Now Mar 23, 2004 at 3:15 PM

Hey Holarika, Personally I would stay in Beruwela since you will be surrounded by many hotels and there is plenty of entertainment, clubs etc. Try to avoid Negombo simply because the water is not so clean as it is down South. The further South you travel you will notice how much cleaner the sea is and also how unspolit the beaches are. The Riverina Hotel is much better than Club Palm Garden, And Eden hotel is also very spectacular! Have a great time Curtis

• RE: Sri Lanka - Dec 28th - January 10th.

by jo1950 Online Now Oct 29, 2006 at 12:24 PM

Hi my daughter and I returned from Kalutara, Tangerine Beach Hotel after 2 weeks this October. The hotel is right on the beach, although the sea was a bit rough we spent most of the time around the pool. We found the hotel very good, in fact there wasnt much we could fault it with. We didnt book trips trough the hotel and they were very expensive. We found the locals who wait outside the hotel gates very helpful. We booked all our tours with a chap named Silva he also had a took took the local form of transport. He sometimes asked for a deposit on the overnight trips but at first we thought could be dodgy, but, let me assure you he is a very genuine person and also a lot, lot cheaper than the hotel. He also owns a small restaurant along the beach from the hotel. Be aware in the town, you may be told by some smart dressed man that he works in your hotel, he says he recognises you, and he persuades you to go to a local goverment store for all your needs, dont go, its all a con. He is working on commission and to be truthfull the shop is rubbish, we fell for his con but we didnt buy anything, he takes you in his car and says its the hotel car and he chats all the way to the store, which, is quite a way from the town. I must say on the way back he was the total opposite hardly said a word, maybe because we didnt spend any money in the store!!!We were lucky to get a lift back, it was only that we got into the car before he came out of the store. Let me recomend the overnight trip to Kandy to the elephant orphanage, the tea plantation and loads more, its a two day fully packed with things to do. If you ask silva to do the trip you wont be dissapointed. Hope all this information is of use to you.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines