Springfield Travel Answers

change location
horsinround2's Profile Photo

Authentic Mexican Food???

by horsinround2 Online Now May 14, 2004 at 1:15 AM

My mom just moved to Springfield from California. She is used to very authentic Mexican food. So far, Taco Bell is the best she's managed to find in Springfield - is there good authentic Mexican food to be found? should she continue to eat bad Mexican food in her quest for a good enchilada? Or should she just give up? Thanks for your help! Melissa

Quote & Answer
11 Answers
  • horsinround2's Profile Photo

Re: Authentic Mexican Food???

by horsinround2 Online Now May 14, 2004 at 1:17 AM

She's already explored the "cook it yourself" option... fine until you want tamales - those are a lot of work to make!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • phildeni's Profile Photo

by phildeni Online Now May 14, 2004 at 2:16 PM

It is unlikely that any place with the name Sprigfield has any chance of having a good Mexican restaurant,,,,That's just the way it is in all Springfields. Sorry.

• travelgourmet's Profile Photo

by travelgourmet Online Now May 14, 2004 at 4:03 PM

There is more than one Springfield. The Springfield in Illinois does have a Mexican Restaurant, and very good at that. Chi-Chi's on Wabash Ave, just east of the White Oaks Mall. Fajitas, Burrito's, and great salsa. Forget Taco Bell.

by horsinround2 Online Now May 15, 2004 at 12:07 AM

Thanks. Was afraid there wasn't anything out there - but doesn't hurt to ask. I was talking about Springfield, Missouri. Wonder if the airlines would let me bring frozen food from mom's favorite restaurant when I visit? A cooler is about the same size as a carry on...

• travelgourmet's Profile Photo

by travelgourmet Online Now May 15, 2004 at 12:25 AM

never fear, I am near. Springfield, Mo is just as hungry for good Mexican Food as any other town that likes things a little spicy. i have three for you to try out and decide for yourself. 1) Carlos O'Kelly's Mexican Cafe on Campbell, north of James river Freeway 2) El Chico Restaurant on Glenstone Ave. 3) Maria's Mexican Restaurant on South Ave, Downtown. Ok. I hope this pleases Mama. Travelgourmet

by horsinround2 Online Now May 15, 2004 at 12:34 AM

Thank you so much! I don't think those three are on the list of horrific experiences she's told me about. Her family thinks "hot" is something just a step above ketchup and haven't been much help at all. Melissa

• misscabbage's Profile Photo

by misscabbage Online Now Jun 26, 2004 at 5:04 AM

Ouch! I would not recommend Carlos O'Kelly's to someone used to real mexican food. It is difficult to find something not TexMex in the Midwest. But I've always been happy at Mexican Villa on National or La Hacienda on Glenstone. Then again, I've never lived in CA

• Moustique's Profile Photo

RE: Authentic Mexican Food???

by Moustique Online Now Jul 18, 2005 at 4:26 PM

Try Baja Grill Campbell and battlefield-description of my springfield page, they are actually from california. Maria's downtown 406 South avenue is awesome-great bartender named vaughn there and a good server named chris. cielito lindo's is a good place to eat 3530 s. campbell. oh yeah and another great place is acambaro 1779 s glenstone. la hacienda has great margaritas 1370 s glenstone. mmmm! i love mexican food, i hope some of these will help and let me know if you have any other questions

LO

• RE: Authentic Mexican Food???

by zackej Online Now Sep 9, 2005 at 6:42 PM

Okay at least Moustique(sp?) came up with a few authentic. Carlos O'Kelly's, ChiCHi's please these are poor chain mass produced versions of Authetic MExican food. Don't get me wrong occasionally I hunger for an sizzling fajita platter, but authentic Mexican? All of the following are locally owed by people of Mexican decent. MAria's great people own it and the food is inexpensive and pretty darn good, La hacienda has several locations, and to beat all the rest even if their hours are a little odd Rincon Latina on Walnut downtown is incredible. Sorry for being a little grrrrrish on the chains, but please lets support our locally owned places that really offer something great.

Thanks

• RE: Authentic Mexican Food???

by gemini77rt Online Now Oct 21, 2005 at 7:51 AM

hello melissa, la hacienda has great mexican authentic, and so doesmaria mexican food ...i like maria better its downtown at the corner of south and walnut...try the ultimate sergio, its a deep fried chmichanga with a killer cheese sauce.

Authentic Mexican Food???

by horsinround2 Online Now Nov 25, 2005 at 11:59 PM

Thanks to everyone for your replies. During my last few visits to Mom's, we've visited several of your suggestions and are looking forward to trying the rest.
    Melissa

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines