Split Travel Answers

change location

long lineups for ferry or catamaran from split to hvar?

by jordanaf Online Now Feb 9, 2013 at 10:24 AM

Hi,

My fiance and I are planning our honeymoon in Croatia. We wanted to spend 2 days in split, then 2 nights in Hvar before coming back to Split to catch our flight very early in the morning. We are going to be there in late July, and I heard from one source that the ferries do not always run on schedule, and that to get a catamaran to Hvar we will have to wait hours in line because you can't buy tickets in advance. We were warned that if we want to have a relaxing honeymoon, we should just stay in Split for the entire time and not stress ourselves out with getting to and from Hvar. We will not have a car, we will just be on foot.

However, I really want to go, it looks like a lot of fun, and I'm worried that we will get bored hanging out in Split for 5 full days.

Does anyone have insight on how difficult it is to get between Spilt and Hvar in July?

Thank you,

Jordana

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • dino335's Profile Photo

Re: long lineups for ferry or catamaran from split to hvar?

by dino335 Online Now Feb 9, 2013 at 10:32 PM

Well, July is peak season and Hvar is a very popular destination. especially Hvar Town, which is where the catamaran goes. There is also a ferry that goes to Stari Grad and you can take a bus to Hvar Town from there. I was there in Early October and I bought my tickets in advance and the catamaran certainly ran on time. People did line up for the catamaran and I am sure there we be lots of people lined up in July and i guess there you will certainly have to wait on line. The ferry to Stari Grad is big. You are right, you don't want to spend five days in Split, two days is enough. I suggest you email the boat company and ask them about advance ticket sales and lines, here's the link jadrolinija.hr/default.aspx?...

Hvar Town is kinda like a jet set place in the summer, with night clubs and expensive resorts, but there are also fairly cheap places to stay also, I stayed in a small place just of the town square run by an old couple -- included breakfast (eh) and dinner -- usually fresh fish caught by the owner...

If you decide to go you need to book early.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • dino335's Profile Photo

by dino335 Online Now Feb 9, 2013 at 10:39 PM

PS there is also a ferry from Drvenik (on the mainland) to Sucuraj (on the southern end of Hvar that part of the island may be less crowded than around Hvar Town and Stari Grad, but you would have to take a bus to Drvenik.

• KristaB's Profile Photo

by KristaB Online Now Feb 10, 2013 at 1:25 AM

Ferries don't run on schedule only when there's too many passengers so they load and unload more frequently. Or perhaps when some severe weather conditions happen, but that's rare during summer months, and would first affect catamarans - so as a foot passenger you shouldn't have problems boarding a ferry.

Waiting for hours happens only on Saturdays during high summer season, because most hotels and private acomodation have bookings from Sat to Sat. So just avoid Saturdays. There's no need to buy tickets in advance.

Scheduled ferry arrivals are coordinated with local bus lines from ferry port to Hvar and other major towns on the island, so if that happens you won't be 'stranded'. There aren't many bus lines but they are adapted to serve local population going to/from their work, so it's good enough to plan at least a non-guided bus sightseeing tour. Check with your hosts if and for what price they arrange a pickup service for their guests. There are also car rental companies, we used them a couple of times when we arrived on Hvar by boat instead of by car. It might be a lovely experience exploring charming villages, eco farms and other off the beaten path places.

Split is charming and deserves a few days, but Hvar is the place for a relaxing honeymoon. Have a wonderful honeymoon!

• goodfish's Profile Photo

by goodfish Online Now Feb 20, 2013 at 2:23 PM

berina wrote: In that time it is full season specially between towns and islands. Why u don't go to Zadar (it is not far away) check this site: www.navadriatic.com if u have any questions send on berina@navadriatic.com
    Berina, advertising is not allowed on Virtual Tourist - and you've already been reported once for doing so.  This post has been reported as well and will be deleted by the staff. 

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines