Spitsbergen Travel Answers

change location
mariaep's Profile Photo

Cheap Svalbard

by mariaep Online Now Mar 30, 2009 at 6:16 AM

Hi!, we are planning to go to Svaldbard in middle april, 12 nice people searching for adventure but with little resources, we have looking up almost all activities agencies and they are really really expensive. Have somebody some advices how we can make a "cheap" Svalbard tour??,

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • Donna_in_India's Profile Photo

Re: Cheap Svalbard

by Donna_in_India Online Now Mar 30, 2009 at 7:33 AM

Hi Maria - I think is it very difficult to do Svalbard inexpensively. We used www.spitsbergentravel.no/eng/ for our excursions. You probably have checked them and seen that they are expensive. I think most of the excursions are booked through this agency. There are not alot of places that you can hike even since there is a danger of polar bears and it is not recommended that you travel on your own. I know there are a few places for acommodations that I think are good and not too expensive. Food also is pretty expensive - and not alot of options - alcohol is not expensive. When I was researching for Svalbard I did not find alot of information. I guess not many people get there, but it really was spectacular. I know some other VTers have gone there so hopefully they will be able to help you out. Happy Travels!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • foona's Profile Photo

Re: Cheap Svalbard

by foona Online Now Mar 30, 2009 at 10:17 AM

Have you checked this site? http://www.svalbard.net/index.asp

Like Donna said, it's difficult to do Svalbard inexpensively. Due to extreme climate and wildlife, very few visitors are able to do much on their own. We spent a lot of money up there and have a lot of wonderful memories.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines