Spetses Island Travel Answers

change location

Old Harbour bar

by sgpotter Online Now Jan 13, 2010 at 3:57 PM

I have not returned to Spetsesince 1990 and was considering returning this year. I am sre there will be many changes but I am wondering if the beautiful bar by the sea in the old harbour is still there, it was owned by Kosta and his German wife. If you know the name can you please email me it as I would like to get in touch when there.

Many Thanks

Gary Potter

Quote & Answer
5 Answers
  • craic's Profile Photo

Re: Old Harbour bar

by craic Online Now Jan 13, 2010 at 4:04 PM

this is off subject - but wasn't this place where John Fowles set his book The Magus?

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • janetanne's Profile Photo

by janetanne Online Now Jan 21, 2010 at 12:25 AM

@Craic...yes, Spetses was the setting from Fowles' book the Magus. Many things have changed in Spetses, even in the past year. The most dramatic thing that has changed has been the refurbishing of the big hotel in Dapia. A beautiful new pedestrian walkway has been constructed and the hotel looks magnificent. As for the bar in the old port, I think it may still be there. I will ask my friends who have a house there if they know. We were just there over the Christmas holidays for 6 days and spent a lovely time. I hope to find the time very soon, to upload some of my latest photos of Spetses from my last trip. In the mean time, you are welcome to have a look at my pages on Spetses as they are now:
    "Female Freedom Fighter" - Spetses Island by janetanne

by janetanne Online Now Jan 21, 2010 at 12:29 AM

Yes, the bar in the old port is still there. It is called Il Padrino. Hope this helps. See you in Spetses?

• Re: Il Padrino

by sgpotter Online Now Jan 21, 2010 at 2:04 AM

Thank you for your help on this matter. Did your friend know if Kosta and his wife still own it or have they moved on, separated, passed on etc?

Regards

Gary

by janetanne Online Now Jan 21, 2010 at 2:06 AM

Sorry, no further information available than that:):0

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines