Spello Travel Answers

change location

best choice for a week

by aussiejensy Online Now Aug 24, 2011 at 1:01 AM

We are looking to have a week somewhere in Umbria next June. We have been recommended to Spello. I would appreciate some other travellers thoughts on this as a base or perhaps somewhere a little larger for more nightlife, such as bars/restaurants. Would Spoleto be just as beautiful but a little larger? Thanks so much.

Quote & Answer
7 Answers
  • Trekki's Profile Photo

Re: best choice for a week

by Trekki Online Now Aug 24, 2011 at 10:34 AM

It all depends if you have a car or not. If you travel with public transportation, then Spoleto might be the best or even Assisi. Or Perugia, albeit Perugia is much bigger. But then Perugia has easy public transport access to the many beautiful towns and villages in Umbria.

If you have a car then I would recommend Bevagna. It is a very beautiful Medieval town with several bars and good restaurants. Have a look at our travel guide of Bevagna:
    Bevagna Travel Guide
    and then look at the several categories for things to do, restaurants etc on the left hand side.
    Although the amount of nightlife and bars is not that big. But this is similar to Spello. Spoleto, being bigger, might have more bars (haven't been there yet).

In terms of beauty, I would say that Spello is the most beautiful of all (Spello, Spoleto, Assisi, Perugia, Bevagna). Especially during spring/summer the locals decorate their houses with flowerpots in abundance.

In terms of events:
    Mercato delle Gaite is being held in Bevagna mid to end June for 10 days. That would be then a 10 days nightlife abundance, although Medieval. But food and excellent meal service during all these 10 days. Have a look at the photos:
    ilmercatodellegaite.it/?q=im...

Infiorata is a major event in Spello, also in June. Ok, event is a silly word, it is usually on the Sunday after Corpus Christi, so June 10 in 2012. Here is a video:
    youtube.com/watch?v=89AM6y9v...

Does that help your decision?
    Ingrid :-)

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • markschaaf's Profile Photo

by markschaaf Online Now Aug 24, 2011 at 1:34 PM

Both places are nice and both have 4 places of interest meaning museums or galleries, but neither is going to have a lot of nightlife. I think that Spello is probably the better choice because the town of Foligno which is a much bigger town is only about 3 miles away to the south where as Spoleto is about 15 miles to the south of the town. Having a bigger town this close gives you many more options as far as eating out and some nightlife activities.

• Re: best choice for a week

by aussiejensy Online Now Aug 25, 2011 at 12:37 AM

I should have clarified that we are planning to hire a car, possibly from Spoleto rather than Rome for easier driving. Spello might still be our choice. Thanks for your advice.

• Trekki's Profile Photo

by Trekki Online Now Aug 25, 2011 at 12:52 AM

This will make your life much easier, although: Spello has the so-called ZTL, zona traffico limitato, and that means that you can't drive into the town with your rental car and park it there. It might be possible to get permission to drive to your accommodation to unload your luggage, but you have to arrange this with your accommodation and you have to drive out of the centre to park your car. Have a look at this, the photo. I took it at the entrance to Spello's historical town:
    "Driving in middle Italy, and the ZTL thing.." - Italy Transportation Tip by Trekki
    Spello is located on the hill, or it stretches along the hill. Parking spaces are only on the lowest point.

Although... give a possible stay in Bevagna a thought. Have a look at this hotel, well, agriturismo, B&B:
    Il Poggio dei Pettirossi
    It is located on the hills above Bevagna, with gorgeous views to Assisi and Spello. But you need the car to go into towns and bars, so that might rule it out.

by aussiejensy Online Now Aug 26, 2011 at 6:53 PM

Thanks for your advice. Foligno may be a good place to hire a car from if it is on a direct trainline from Rome. Have you ever booked a wine tour from Spello for a day so no one has to be driver. Thanks for your help

• Trekki's Profile Photo

by Trekki Online Now Aug 26, 2011 at 11:09 PM

Sorry, can't help with the wine tour. I haven't booked a wine tour in Umbria yet. The best town for this might be Montefalco. Famous for Sagrantino red wine.

Yes, you can hire a car in Foligno, albeit the only international one seems to be Avis:
    hotelinumbria.it/umbria-tras...
    I usually book Europcar/Eurocar, but their nearest rental station seems to be Terni (a train from Rome to Foligno will also stop there).

Ingrid

by aussiejensy Online Now Aug 27, 2011 at 7:32 PM

Thanks for your help. I have been checking out Bevagna too.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines