Spain Travel Answers

change location
StephanB's Profile Photo

Off the beaten path

by StephanB Online Now Sep 6, 2005 at 5:45 AM

We will have about a month or so to spend in Spain and we are looking for a nice, quiet, out of the way village to just kick back and enjoy the poeple and culture. We are traveling with a 20 month old, so nightlife and tour groups are of no appeal. We are going in blind, so any suggestions would be fantastic. I'm currently in Africa without a good internet source, so it is nearly impossible to do the required research on the site. Thanks.

Quote & Answer
6 Answers
  • PavlH's Profile Photo

RE: Off the beaten path

by PavlH Online Now Sep 6, 2005 at 5:50 AM

Does it have to be mainland Spain or would you consider somewhere like Caimari or Binibona in Majorca?

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Ritchie_Lionheart's Profile Photo

by Ritchie_Lionheart Online Now Sep 6, 2005 at 6:01 AM

Hi Stephen, to what airport in Spain will you be flying? How will you be traveling in Spain (rented car, public transport)? Do you alrewady have your dates set? Do you prefer hotel or a flat? Spain is full of charming towns and villages and abound with historical monuments and natural sites. I a, sure that you will get lots of proposals.

• Maurizioago's Profile Photo

by Maurizioago Online Now Sep 6, 2005 at 6:37 AM

Perhaps the "off the beaten path" place I like most in Spain is Besal├╣. It is located in Catalunya; not far from Girona. It is a beautiful village with stono houses. See my Beal├╣ travelogue on my Catalunya pages if you like.

Girona also could be considered an "off the beaten pathe" place in my opinion. It is only an hour by train from Barcelona.

• iandsmith's Profile Photo

RE: RE: Off the beaten path

by iandsmith Online Now Sep 6, 2005 at 1:14 PM

I liked Ribadsella and its proximity to the fabulous Picos would be great for day trips.
    On the south coast Sitges might fit your bill.
    Wherever you end up, have a good time.

• StephanB's Profile Photo

by StephanB Online Now Sep 6, 2005 at 1:18 PM

Thanks for the replies. To clarify my questiona little, I'll be flying to Lisbon and spending a couple weeks in Portugal. My plans are very flexible and we like to go with the flow. We will probably be traveling by train and/or bus as I have heard the public transport is pretty good. I have the time to go just about anywhere. I realize that there are a number of beautiful places to visit in and around Spain, but I'm looking for that general area where we would find the unspoiled small villages where we can rent a flat/apt. for a month and just hang out.

• Lorro's Profile Photo

RE: RE: Off the beaten path

by Lorro Online Now Sep 12, 2005 at 2:24 AM

Then you may want to consider one of the 5 or so "Pueblos Blancos" near the town of Ronda. But I dont know of where to stay info there. They are beautiful though and near a national park. Or you could go near my favorite city,Granada, as well. Here is a site I have come across in the past that looks like a nice place to stay, in Montefrio, in the mountains outside of Granada.
    http://www.donlorenzo.com/
    Definately pueblo life and OFF the beaten track. Then you could visit Granada as well, the same guy has a nice website with info for Granada too.
    http://www.vivagranada.com/index.htm

Sounds like a nice trip you are planning, have a great time!
    J.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Spain Travel Answer Locations