Spain Travel Answers

change location

Costa Blanca - which is the best place to live?

by peterdavids Online Now Jul 11, 2013 at 5:06 AM

I have been to Alicante, Benidorm, Santa Pola and Villajoyosa many times, but I have never been to Calpe, Denia, Moraira, Javea, Altea, Jalon, Oliva, Guardamar or Torrevieja. I would like to live/retire somewhere on the coast on the Costa Blanca and I like places with plenty of nice cafes, selling delicious coffee (ie Spanish or European-style cafes, not Starbucks) with seats outside where I can watch the world go by. Ideally the town should have character, with some nice old streets and buildings, plenty of squares to sit, a long sandy beach, and with a mixture of Spanish and expats. Add to that, rental prices must not be too expensive and there must be good local transport. I like Alicante itself, as it has all of the above, but I wondered if anyone can suggest an even better coastal town with everything I ask for, and maybe a bit cheaper than Alicante.

Quote & Answer
5 Answers
  • HankMiller's Profile Photo

Re: Costa Blanca - which is the best place to live?

by HankMiller Online Now Jul 11, 2013 at 5:40 AM

view choices.
    tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserRe...
    This might help.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • gwened's Profile Photo

by gwened Online Now Jul 11, 2013 at 6:04 AM

From my younger times all those are nice to live in, but my sons went with girlfriends recently and love Calpe.Denia ,and Javea. Costa Brava you will be alright to live. hope it helps

this site will tell you more from folks there

http://costabrava.angloinfo.com/

2 members found this helpful

• johnincornwall's Profile Photo

by johnincornwall Online Now Jul 11, 2013 at 6:22 AM

Alicante I like but after all it is a city - do you want to retire to a city? Maybe so. Benidorm - Ugh. Torrevieja - Ugh. Calpe I really liked - but I'm not so sure about your lots of squares etc - it's a bit strung out. Denia didn't do a lot for me but it was only a fleeting visit, so a bit unfair. Javea (old town) is really nice but a couple of miles from the sea - we spent a good hour drinking coffee and watching the wolrd at the top there. Moraira is nice, maybe a little expensive. But you can sit and watch the world go by - we picked an obviously Spanish bar as I heard on a Spanish TV programme once that about 60% of the population is foreign. Altea again is really nice, but my impression of Altea La Vieja was very very quiet apart from hordes of tourists - hardly any bars. Down on the front in the new town it is quite pleasant with beach, numerous restaurants and bars, a very busy Spanish place - it's just all those damned tourists and the main road running through. However I cant think of anywhere much else on that coast unless you go up beyond Denia. Cullera or Gandia? We stayed near Xativa once, very nice, lots of squares, totally Spanish but 20 minutes from the coast.

In short we would retire to Calpe, to Javea, probably to Moraira and Xativa. I dont know the ones I haven't mentioned at all above. Alicante we would discount because it is a city, and the graffitti and litter on a Sunday morning puts us off!

Have to say the towns you haven't been too will appear much better to you than Benidorm, Santa Pola and La Villjoyosa. But you really need to research, because 9 times out of 10 when someone on 'A Place In The Sun' says they want something 'Spanish style, local culture etc' at the beginning of the programme, the reality of immersing in Spanish life comes as a shock and they really want Torquay in the sun.

1 member found this helpful

• angiebabe's Profile Photo

by angiebabe Online Now Jul 11, 2013 at 7:14 AM

This is all making very lovely reading! I love Spain! Bear a thought too that prices are really low at the moment so make the most of any opportunities to find the place that you are really happy with

• Re: Costa Blanca - which is the best place to live?

by peterdavids Online Now Jul 11, 2013 at 7:57 AM

Thanks you johnincornwall. I always quite liked Alicante, as it was always mainly Spanish people there, and still is even now. Benidorm I used to like at the Poniente end, as it was quiet, but last time I went it looked like Manhattan. I always liked Cartagena city, a bit further south, but I was last there 25 years ago. Yes, I must go and see Denia, Calpe, Moraira and Xativa.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Spain Travel Answer Locations