Spain Travel Answers

change location

Where to stay in near surrounding of Barcelona as a family traveller in june-end?

by edcoban Online Now Mar 24, 2013 at 1:09 PM

Hi,
I'm plannig to visit Barcelona with my wife, our two small daughters and our sister at the end of this June. We will be driving from Basque region to Barcelona for a three days visit&stay and then will drive to Valencia- our final destination before our departure.
Although I could easily organized our Madrid, then Asturia and Basque stays in this trip, it seems to be a very though issue to do the same for Barcelona. If we were travelling only as a couple it could be much more easier; but together with two small kids (1.5 years and 6 years old) we should take into account of many details.
Although it could be very convenient and comfortable, staying in the heart of Barcelona seems to be extremely expensive for a family during that season. I'm wondering the conveniency of staying in a near surrounding of Barcelona especially in terms of transportation and safety. We are not interstested with a seaside beach holiday, in fact we mainly want to see the major attractions of Barcelona and just feel the city's atmosphere.
We may stay in a town where we can find a clean, safe and reasonable hotel (not touristy) and we can travel daily to Barcelona either with our rental car or train/bus.
Can anyone suggest me some alternative destinations for a family stay near Barcelona?
Many thanks in advance

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • Re: Where to stay in near surrounding of Barcelona as a family traveller in june-end?

by jeanfinney Online Now Mar 25, 2013 at 6:10 PM

There is a frequent commuter rail service from the very center of Barcelona up to Sant Cugat del Valle, which is a nice town with a beautiful church - You might be able to find something there or in a town on the way - I once rented a room in a town on the way there, it was right in the mountains and I enjoyed hiking around the area - and I could just go down and take the train in - this might be a solution for you - Barcelona is indeed very expensive...

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • SANDYKAT's Profile Photo

Re: Where to stay in near surrounding of Barcelona as a family traveller in june-end?

by SANDYKAT Online Now Mar 26, 2013 at 7:31 AM

Barcelona has a wonderful transport system and very easy to use the tube. Please be very aware of pick-pockets. I have been 4 times and last time were approached by fake plain clothed policeman who asked for passports and credit cards. Frightening experience and is rife. Last time we stayed at the front in Hotel del Mar which was very central.

1 member found this helpful

• by edcoban Online Now Mar 29, 2013 at 12:26 AM

Thanks Jeanfinney for your reply

• Re: Where to stay in near surrounding of Barcelona as a family traveller in june-end?

by edcoban Online Now Mar 29, 2013 at 12:39 AM

Dear Sandy, Thanks for your advices and warning. It seems to be a real challenge to visit Barcelona with the whole family.

SANDYKAT wrote:
    Barcelona has a wonderful transport system and very easy to use the tube. Please be very aware of pick-pockets. I have been 4 times and last time were approached by fake plain clothed policeman who asked for passports and credit cards. Frightening experience and is rife. Last time we stayed at the front in Hotel del Mar which was very central.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Spain Travel Answer Locations