Southport Travel Answers

change location

Manchester airport to Southport Transportation

by beamtg Online Now Nov 1, 2005 at 9:54 AM

Ten years ago I used a Luggabus service from Manchester Airport to Personal Residence in Southport and then return. Shared Van pickup. I have been trying to find that service or something similar for 1st week in December.I can't find what I am looking for. Please Help! If any one knows of such a service or indeed a contact number for Luggabus if it still exists, I would very much appreciate it.
Thank you very much for your input.
Bea.

Quote & Answer
7 Answers
  • Smutzie's Profile Photo

RE: Manchester airport to Southport Transportation

by Smutzie Online Now Nov 1, 2005 at 10:10 AM

I don't know of any bus service that runs straight through, but I do know that you can get a train into Liverpool and then change over for a train to Southport. you could try....
    www.merseytravel.gov.uk
    There is a journey planner that might be useful. Or National Rail
    www.nationalrail.co.uk
    Not sure if National Express goes directly to Southport, but it is worth checking...
    www.nationalexpress.com
    Hope that helps.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • sandgrounder's Profile Photo

RE: Manchester airport to Southport Transportation

by sandgrounder Online Now Nov 1, 2005 at 3:09 PM

Hi Bea
    I believe Luggabus went out of business several years ago. The company that we use for airport transfers from Southport to Liverpool and Manchester is MD Travel (phone number is +44 1704 211555). It's private hire so, unlike Luggabus, not a shared lift facility. They are very reliable. Last time we used them to Liverpool airport it was £55 for the return trip. Manchester would cost slightly more - I am very happy to make a phone call to them tomorrow and find out for you if you wish.

Alternative would be the train. There is a direct service from Manchester Airport through to Southport. Again I can provide times for you if you let me know what day and approx time you may be travelling.
    All the best
    Chris

• RE: RE: Manchester airport to Southport Transportation

by beamtg Online Now Nov 1, 2005 at 7:19 PM

Thank You so much, I know the train would be difficult as we would have to get from Piccadily to Victoria and after an international flight we will be tired. Now I have a number though I can phone the car company. (I use skype internet phone, so it's really cheap to phone England.) I appreciate your kindness very much. Bea

by beamtg Online Now Nov 1, 2005 at 7:22 PM

Chris I just realized on rereading your post that you said there was a direct service from Manchester airport to Southport? Wow. If you can post details of that I would really like that or my email is bmutgi@hotmail.com After ten years I an sure I will see many changes in Southport and England. Thanks again Bea

RE: RE: Manchester airport to Southport Transportation

by sandgrounder Online Now Nov 2, 2005 at 12:10 AM

Bea
    I have mailed you a link to a downloadable train timetable. Hope its of use - although I have to say that the door to door service offered by MD Travel would be my preference, expecially with a lot of luggage to haul around.

You will notice many changes in Southport, expecially along the sea front. The new coastal wall has allowed the development of a huge seafront leisure and entertainment complex with loads of new restaurants and a hotel. Even more impressive is the new bridge over the Marine Lake providing access to the complex.

Enjoy your stay.
    Chris

by beamtg Online Now Nov 2, 2005 at 5:15 AM

Thanks Chris I will check it out today but if it is reasonable I will probably use the MD travel. You have been so helpful. I really appreciate your time and response.
    Bea

RE: RE: Manchester airport to Southport Transportation

by sandgrounder Online Now Nov 3, 2005 at 3:33 PM

Glad to be of assistance.
    C

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines