South Padre Island Travel Answers

change location

seeking advice re: spi

by dianainpgh Online Now Jan 5, 2008 at 1:52 PM

we are seniors planning to travel to spi begining march 1st. where to stay? i like to walk to shopping while hubby naps. needs to be oceanfront. hotel? condo? what is brownsville like/would it be better? i'm hoping to beat the majority of springbreakers, will we? any help, greatly appreciated.
dianainpgh

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • TexasDave's Profile Photo

Re: seeking advice re: spi

by TexasDave Online Now Jan 7, 2008 at 10:32 AM

The beginning of March is the start of the Spring Break migration but it's not in full force. It won't crazy like it is at the end of the month and into April. A good web portal is sopadre.com which has lots of info, links, etc.
    There are many more condos available than hotels and there are more hotels on the bay side than oceanside.
    Brownsville is not a very touristic city although there are a few places to see, and it it about a 30 minute drive to SPI. Also, if you want to cross over to Mexico for a day's shopping you're much better off going to Nuevo Progreso, across from Weslaco, TX- it's a longer drive over there but everything is closer to the border crossing and the whold town caters to the tourist crowd, whereas Matamoros is a city of over 500,000 and the tourist market is quite small.
    Any questions VTmail me and hope this helps.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near South Padre Island