South Island Travel Answers

change location
petunia24's Profile Photo

itinerary help

by petunia24 Online Now Jan 22, 2013 at 8:53 AM

we will be traving to south island from oct 23 through nov 26, 2013 and would like itinerary suggestions. we are in our late 50's and plan to charter a sailboat in marlborough sound for 5-7 days then kayak out of nelson area for several days and finally we would like to do a trek somewhere for several days. any suggestions would be very welcome.

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • Re: itinerary help

by ayeshamgreen Online Now Jan 27, 2013 at 4:48 PM

Hi!
    there are so many fun things you could do. sailing around the marlborough sounds is a great idea. the queen charlotte sounds is beautiful with heaps of places to stop and explore. since you are in the area i would recommend the Abel Tasman walk. I did it over 5 days / 4 nights, but it can be done faster or longer. you can also kayak either all or part of the track as it is fully coastal. i would recommend kayaking around golden bay area (right next to nelson, and the Abel tasman track is in this area) for further info visit: doc.govt.nz/parks-and-recrea...
    it is a good site to look around to see other options for walking and camping and great destination hunting. if you really wanted to go hard i would recommend having a look at The Te Anau region as there are lots of tracks there, such as the milford track etc. another area worth visiting would be stewart island in southland area, there are lots of outdoor things to do, including the Rakiura track, kiwi spotting, fishing, etc. you can even charter a small plane to drop you to the other side of the island landing on the beach and walking back to the main township of oban.

1 member found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: itinerary help

by ayeshamgreen Online Now Jan 27, 2013 at 5:42 PM

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular South Island Travel Answer Locations