South Iceland

change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• Statue of man outside bar

Reykjavík Apr 11, 2014 at 2:36 AM

I was wanting to know what the statue of the man with his head down is outside of the Geysir bar and Tapas is about. Thanks!!!

more
    • spending 3 nights in Reykjavik

Reykjavík Mar 20, 2014 at 7:26 AM

WHat to do on a Sunday and Monday

more
    • Driving Toyota Yaris in South Iceland from 27th to 30th.

Iceland Apr 14, 2014 at 8:00 PM

I will be driving from Reykjavik to Hofn via ring road, vik around 25th Apr. We are not familiar with the Yaris and Iceland road conditions. Is Yaris OK for our travel plans? Is it better to have snow tires in the last 10 days of April? Do you have any recommendation about equipment, etc? Thanks for any information..

more
    • CAR RENTAL

Reykjavík Region Mar 20, 2014 at 8:13 AM

Should we rent a car for the 2 1/2 days we are in Reykjavik?
      we are nature lovers and we wonder if it is easy to find /drive to the various waterfalls
      and lagoons?
      We do NOT like big bus tours and wonder if we can find these nature features easily
      with our rental car?
      Also, Can you recommend a SMALL tour agency that might take fewer people on a tour?

more
    • Rachel972's Profile Photo

Looking for pictures of Iceland culture

Iceland Mar 21, 2014 at 9:17 AM

I'd like your help for finding big, whole screen pictures of Iceland of modern architecture (I have the Hallgrimskirkia and the Stykksholmur church), of displays of the national museum, old manuscripts, and of the Siglufjordur herring factory.

I'm going to give a talk to friends about our Iceland trip, and I have plenty of photos of landscape, waterfalls, geysers and the glacier laguna. But I want to talk aslo of the history. While I talk I have a slide show slowly running on the TV.

I found very few pictures that are not of landscapes on the net, and they are part of text pages, so they're too small and low resolution to display well on the TV as a full screen.

more
    • Robbinn's Profile Photo

Bus service Iceland

South Iceland Mar 7, 2014 at 8:22 AM

Do you know why the bus transportation in Iceland is so expensive?

4 Answers Mar 7, 2014 at 1:38 PM
    • south and west iceland

South Iceland Jan 8, 2014 at 6:32 PM

I'm travelling to Iceland in late February for 7 days and I plan on driving from Reykjavik, up to gulfoss, and over to Vik. Is this drive feasible to do in 6 days? I plan on stopping at all the sites in between and staying my sixth night in reykjavik for the Beer Day. Also could I do this drive in a regular little car or would I need to rent a 4wd?

6 Answers Jan 12, 2014 at 12:47 PM
    • things to do

South Iceland Jan 6, 2014 at 10:17 PM

What is the best way to adjust to the time change when we get there?? We leave US at 5 PM and arrive in rekyjavik at 630 Am the next day........We hope to sleep on the plane for the 6 hr flight but what worries me is the time change.... and only 5 hrs of daylight............. only have 3 days there ....Help!

2 Answers Jan 7, 2014 at 8:47 AM
    • Sunday In Iceland

South Iceland Dec 12, 2013 at 12:28 PM

we fly in on a Sunday. What's the best thing to try and do?

5 Answers Dec 12, 2013 at 11:55 PM
    • 4 days in Reykjavik

South Iceland May 25, 2013 at 3:36 AM

My husband and I, both in our early 60s, have 4 days in Reykjavik beginning July 19th. Any suggestions on day trips from Reykjavic? Is Jokulsarlon too far away for a day trip? I am a hobbyist photographer and we are looking for scenic routes and places.

9 Answers May 31, 2013 at 10:02 AM
    • advice on where to base ourselves in Iceland

South Iceland Apr 1, 2013 at 5:12 AM

Hi fellow travellers, We are planning to spend a week in Iceland in late August. (British family of 4 - teenagers 15 and 19 but not interested in nightlife) We really want to hire a cottage and to stay in one place but are wondering where to base ourselves - we plan to hire a car but have no experience of four wheel driving. I was thinking of somewhere in the golden circle so we could still get to rejyavick for shopping and possibly trips but would be staying somewhere more scenic than in town. Would really appreciate recommendations of where to stay, what to see and the best places to buy good quality food in particular organic food. An indication of prices would also be very helpful

Thanks

5 Answers Apr 2, 2013 at 3:07 PM
    • foona's Profile Photo

Fjaðrárgljúfur

South Iceland May 13, 2012 at 12:46 PM

Hi

We'll be visiting the area this summer. After some research, we've decided that a walk through/along the Fjaðrárgljúfur, is not to be missed. Direction to the canyon says: "Take road no. 1 from Selfoss direction Höfn. Just before arriving at Kirkjubæjarklaustur take exit to road no. F206 to Lakagígjar. After few minutes drive the road to Laki leads to the right. Do not take the right turn to Laki instead you should continue the drive for few more minutes until you arrive at Fjaðrárgljúfur".

My question: Can we drive this short section of F206 with a normal 2WD? No other part of our planned trip requires a 4WD.

Thanks!

3 Answers May 16, 2012 at 7:16 AM
    • debbie1960's Profile Photo

Volcanic ash in Selfoss, Iceland

South Iceland May 24, 2011 at 8:31 AM

Could anyone please tell me how Selfoss has been affected by the volcanic ash. We are due to travel there very soon. If our flight is not cancelled we may have to consider rescheduling the trip and any information about the conditions at the moment would be very helpful.

2 Answers Jun 3, 2011 at 3:35 PM
    • Credit Cards in South Iceland

South Iceland Jan 18, 2011 at 10:36 AM

I have been reading that credit cards are widely used in Iceland, but is this also true away from Reykjavic? We will be only in south Iceland and wondered if the places to eat in the small villages will accept credit cards or shall we have ISK available?

6 Answers Jan 22, 2011 at 4:15 PM
    • Accomodations in Vik

South Iceland Jun 10, 2010 at 7:59 PM

Hello, I am trying to find a place to stay in Vik, or somewhere near vik. I am going the first week of august, and have found that the mid-range places are sold out, leaving only the expensive rooms available.

Does anyone have any recommendations on where to stay in Vik?

Thanks.

2 Answers Jun 27, 2010 at 1:07 PM
    • witch situation in skogar?

South Iceland May 4, 2010 at 1:49 PM

in august I'll go back in Iceland and I'd like to visit the museum in Skogar and Vik, but I'm not able to find infomations about the nowaday situation in that part of road 1 and in general in the south after the volcan eruption.

1 Answer May 14, 2012 at 11:44 PM
    • lukechan's Profile Photo

Placea in South Iceland

South Iceland Mar 30, 2010 at 9:56 AM

I am making my web pages for my travel in Iceland. But I don't know some of the places that i have visited. I want to ask anyone can tell me where they are in South iceland?

travel.landwalker.info/galle...
      travel.landwalker.info/galle...

5 Answers Apr 4, 2010 at 1:55 PM
    • Bus trip from Kirkjubaejarklaustur to Landmannalaugar

South Iceland Mar 27, 2010 at 9:19 AM

Hi,
      We are planning a trip to Iceland at the end of June.
      Because we arrive without car, we would like to travell by bus.
      We would like to take the bus trip from Kirkjubaejarklaustur to Landmannalaugar, but we can't find some free double room in Kirkjubaejarklaustur
      (or in the area close to road 1)for this date.
      Also we can't arrive to Kirkjubaejarklaustur from Vik at 9.30 a.m.
      Does anyone have advice on what will we have to do or help us to book some double
      room ?
      Thanks in advance for all your help and knowledge!

1 Answer Mar 27, 2010 at 6:30 PM
    • kimmo_v's Profile Photo

advicees

South Iceland Mar 8, 2010 at 5:12 AM

Hi,

we are planning a trip to Iceland maybe at the end of this March. What we need to know is, that what the economical situation is there at this moment, ie. how much for a lunch/beer/renting a car and stuff like that. If possible, please convert the prices for euros.

4 Answers Mar 15, 2010 at 5:19 PM
    • 2giants's Profile Photo

Handmade Sweaters

South Iceland Mar 2, 2010 at 9:21 PM

I really want to buy a hand knit sweater while in Iceland - one made by hand, not machine. Anyone have a contact for a crafter that makes sweaters for sale? ALso, I need to bring some yarn home for friends and family. WHere is the best place to buy wool yarn? We are staying in Reykjavik, so some place near there - or accesible by bus would be prefered.
      thanks -

4 Answers Mar 5, 2010 at 4:29 PM

Home Hosted Dinner

South Iceland Feb 9, 2010 at 8:35 PM

Does anyone know of any home hosted dinners where we would sit down and eat dinner with a local family? We don't want to be served dinner at a bed and breakfast, or farm stay. We are looking to joining a family (and paying our share) for dinner so we could see the real Iceland. Other countries have these kind of programs, but we can't seem to find anyone offering this. We found one artist who does this regularly, but he will be out of town when we are there. Any ideas?
      thanks - we will be there in March.

2 Answers Mar 25, 2010 at 2:49 AM

6 days based in Reykjavik

South Iceland Dec 19, 2009 at 5:09 PM

We just grabbed an Icelandair special, and will find ourselves in Reykjavik for 6 days in March. This trip includs a Golden Circle Tour, but nothing else. Any and all suggestions for what to do for the other 5 days would be great. Should we rent a car? Can we get around by public transportaion? Anything we shouldn't miss? I know that seeing the Northern lights isn't guaranteed, but if it's clear, where is the best place for us to view them? Any suggestions for dogsledding?
      Thanks in advance for all your help and knowledge!

9 Answers Jan 6, 2010 at 9:08 PM
    • 1.near KEF airport half day by car 2.Vestmannaeyjar good in Xmas

South Iceland Dec 18, 2008 at 6:19 PM

1. I will arrive KEF international airport 6am and get a rental car. My friend will arrive at 3pm in KEF. And we will go blue lagoon. So I have some quesitons:
      a.) If I go blue lagoon alone from 10am ~2pm, then pick up my friend and go back lagoon until 6pm. Will I be bored? Or the lagoon is very fun and I can spend all day in it?
      b.) Or should I drive to Reykjavik and take a walk in the city?
      c.) Any other nearby is good to drive to for few hours?
      d.) If I want to see northern light, I just find a dark place and raise my head?

2. Is Vestmannaeyjar a bad place to go in winter time? (no birds...) I will be in Reykjavik Dec 22~28. I am thinking where nearby should I drive to? Myrdalsjökull has no stable weather, snow.is tell me to check the weather with them one day before. And ski slopes near Reykjavik told me snow amount is not enough yet. Any suggesitons in Xmas? I am only sure that I will go golden cycle.

3. Will Hallgrimskirkja have special event in Xmas? There website is not english and I don't understadn. http://www.hallgrimskirkja.is/

6 Answers Dec 20, 2008 at 5:35 AM
    • JulieEGW's Profile Photo

Advice on "Must See" places

South Iceland Sep 9, 2008 at 6:38 AM

We are going to have 2.5 days in the area - arriving on 20 Sept.We will be staying in Reykjavik.

????? Does anyone have advice on what will we have time to see/do??????

Happy to hire a car and drive if that will help us to get the most from our visit.

????? Any advice on the best car hire deals?????

Thanks!

J

3 Answers Sep 13, 2008 at 5:27 PM
    • ohaiyo's Profile Photo

Vatnajokull

South Iceland Apr 14, 2008 at 11:33 AM

Hi,

I'm thinking of going to Vatnajokull in July. How do I get there from Reykjavik? How long is the trip by bus? I guess I'll be staying at Hofn. How much time should I spend? Also, what would the weather be like?

2 Answers Apr 14, 2008 at 5:21 PM
    • lubyatoo's Profile Photo

US Travel Agency

South Iceland Jan 18, 2008 at 9:17 AM

Hi everyone,

I would like to get a phone number for travel agency in US that specializes in travel from US to Iceland. It can be located anywhere in US and has to be cheap...I just want a cheap ticket to Reykjavik, Iceland. Thank you.

7 Answers Jun 27, 2010 at 1:18 PM
    • driving in March?

South Iceland Jan 10, 2008 at 1:31 PM

Hello all,

We will be coming to Iceland for a weekend in beginning of March and would like to go on the Golden Cricle, Blue Lagoon, have some time in the city and try to hunt for northern light. We figured that it will be much cheaper to rent a car and go aroundourselves rather than taking all those tours when there will be at least 5 of us.

So my question is that what is the driving like in March? Will you still have snow by then? Is it easy to drive around? What about parking? Would that be a problem in the city?

Thanks, and I look forward to my trip in Iceland!

4 Answers Jan 15, 2008 at 3:59 PM
    • Bike hire Reykjavik - Gullfoss

South Iceland Nov 17, 2007 at 3:32 AM

Can you recommend a bike hire place in Reykjavik? How far is it to cycle to Gullfoss? Are there any campsites on the way?
      Thanks

2 Answers Nov 18, 2007 at 9:21 AM
    • Airport to Blue Lagoon

South Iceland Nov 14, 2007 at 2:47 AM

Hi
      I am not confident enough to hire a car but am arriving at the airport next Thursday and was wondering if there are any bus services that go to the Blue Lagoon from the airport or how much a taxi would be?

1 Answer Nov 14, 2007 at 3:14 AM
    • marielexoteria's Profile Photo

What's the name of this?

South Iceland Oct 30, 2007 at 7:31 AM

It might sound stupid, and I'm sorry if it does, but what is the bridge on the 3rd picture from "Leisure activities" of this link bluelagoon.com/Clinic/Leisur...

I ask because I've searched for "the rift" and "Gjáin" and I haven't found that bridge anywhere else.

Thanks in advance.

8 Answers Nov 1, 2007 at 12:08 PM
    • trembly1's Profile Photo

Seeing the northern lights in Iceland

South Iceland Oct 15, 2007 at 9:18 AM

What's the best time to visit Iceland to catch the Northern Lights but also to get enough hours of daylight to see the beautiful countryside? We had been thinking of spending New Year in Reykjavik - it sounds like fun but our priorities when visiting would be to get around and see the country rather than partying. Thanks :o)

1 Answer Oct 15, 2007 at 2:52 PM
    • eswepe's Profile Photo

Wedding in Jokulsarlon

South Iceland Feb 6, 2007 at 3:31 PM

Hi -

My fiance and are would love to get married outdoors at Jokulsarlon, but we're having trouble finding anyone to marry us. Any advice or contacts? We'll be in Iceland in a few months and are getting nervous because we can't finalize any plans until we know where we'll be getting married. Help!

1 Answer Feb 19, 2007 at 2:05 PM
    • eswepe's Profile Photo

Wedding in Jokulsarlon

South Iceland Feb 6, 2007 at 3:06 PM

Hi -

My fiance and are would love to get married outdoors at Jokulsarlon, but we're having trouble finding anyone to marry us. Any advice or contacts? We'll be in Iceland in a few months and are getting nervous because we can't finalize any plans until we know where we'll be getting married. Help!

• Thorsmork Guide or Transportation

South Iceland May 1, 2006 at 9:28 AM

We're going to Iceland for the 1st time later this month & renting a car to see South Iceland on our own. We'd like to find a local guide or at least transportation out to Thorsmork to hike for a few hours. Given the water crossings, it seems essential to have someone take us but we don't want to backtrack to Reykjavik & take an all day bus tour.
      Any ideas??
      Thanks!

1 Answer May 1, 2006 at 1:48 PM
    • Glacier hiking in January?

South Iceland Sep 1, 2005 at 11:45 AM

I'm completely new to VT - so excuse any mistake, please.

We had our first >2 weeks round trip around Iceland in June - it was absolutely great! Now we plan to be in Reykjavik on the 31.12. to 01.01. and adding a trip to the southern area by car - waterfalls and further to Vik. Does anyone know a link to some company that offers guided glacier tours locally (not by bus from Reykjavik) around the Solheimajökull or any other glacier nearby? I couldn't find anything with Google.

Thank you very much.
      Hajo (near Frankfurt/Main-Germany)

4 Answers Sep 4, 2005 at 4:26 AM