South Iceland Travel Answers

change location

Credit Cards in South Iceland

by scfivegrands Online Now Jan 18, 2011 at 10:36 AM

I have been reading that credit cards are widely used in Iceland, but is this also true away from Reykjavic? We will be only in south Iceland and wondered if the places to eat in the small villages will accept credit cards or shall we have ISK available?

Quote & Answer
6 Answers
  • Redang's Profile Photo

Re: Credit Cards in South Iceland

by Redang Online Now Jan 18, 2011 at 10:45 AM

No problem at all

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Fluffy_bunny's Profile Photo

by Fluffy_bunny Online Now Jan 18, 2011 at 11:10 AM

You can use cards at supermarkets or Subway sandwiches or clothing shops or whatever.

• Oregonguy's Profile Photo

by Oregonguy Online Now Jan 18, 2011 at 12:12 PM

Iceland is credit card heaven. Took cash last trip, didn't spend a single cent (or krona).

I think even the panhandling homeless have charge machines to accept handouts.

• GrumpyDiver's Profile Photo

by GrumpyDiver Online Now Jan 18, 2011 at 1:06 PM

First trip there we took cash, when we were there in 2009, no cash at all. Even the smallest transations were with credit cards.

The only time we had issues with credit cards was at gas stations. The pumps are 100% chip & pin cards, and for some reason or other it did not like the chip & pin setup from our Canadian credit cards. But not a problem. You buy a "gas card" with a chip & pin with your credit card and use it.

Iceland is really as close to a cashless society as you are going to see anywhere in the world.

• Odinnthor's Profile Photo

by Odinnthor Online Now Jan 18, 2011 at 7:54 PM

Icelanders have always embraced new technologies and taken them further than any other country. There are more people in Iceland that have cellphones than any other country, - computers, same. etc etc. Credit Cards were no different. Like Grumpy said, - as close to a cashless society as you will ever see.

Enjoy your visit to my country......d:o)

• Regina1965's Profile Photo

by Regina1965 Online Now Jan 22, 2011 at 4:15 PM

Yes, all of the answers are correct, we buy even the cheapest items with a credit card here, I hardly ever carry cash here. And the same goes for the whole country, not just in Reykjavík. But it is always a good idea to buy some ISK just in case. Like my country-man Erik says then we embrace new technology with open arms, and everybody owns at least one cell-phone here and we use them a lot. We are gadget crazy here and 83% of the nation is on Facebook f.ex.

Have a lovely time in my country :)

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular South Iceland Travel Answer Locations