South Iceland Travel Answers

change location

Bus trip from Kirkjubaejarklaustur to Landmannalaugar

by yofurman Online Now Mar 27, 2010 at 9:19 AM

Hi,
We are planning a trip to Iceland at the end of June.
Because we arrive without car, we would like to travell by bus.
We would like to take the bus trip from Kirkjubaejarklaustur to Landmannalaugar, but we can't find some free double room in Kirkjubaejarklaustur
(or in the area close to road 1)for this date.
Also we can't arrive to Kirkjubaejarklaustur from Vik at 9.30 a.m.
Does anyone have advice on what will we have to do or help us to book some double
room ?
Thanks in advance for all your help and knowledge!

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • GrumpyDiver's Profile Photo

Re: Bus trip from Kirkjubaejarklaustur to Landmannalaugar

by GrumpyDiver Online Now Mar 27, 2010 at 6:30 PM

Kirkjubaejarklaustur is a tiny place - just a few handfuls of houses, a gas station and some stores, unless there is a B&B or farmhouse taking people in, I'm not at al surprised that you have not had any luck finding accomodation there. Have you tried finding a farmstay (http://www.farmholidays.is/)? The road to Landmannalaugar did cut up from near there, so I can understand the connection.

Vik is a bit bigger (two or three times the size of Kirkjubaejarklaustur, I would guess) and has a lot more stores, etc. We stayed in a small hotel just outside of town on our visit there two years ago.

On both trips we made to Iceland, we rented cars (including a 4x4 last summer). Once you get out of Reykjavik, and head east, your options for just about everything is very limited otherwise.

Your homepage does not give any details about you and your travel experience, so I'm not quite sure where you are coming at this from. Iceland really is a place where you are quite limited in what you can accomplish unless you either rent a car (and for the interior where you are planning to go, a 4x4) or taking an organized tour. Both options are not inexpensive. There are buses, but you really are limited to what you can do if you need to rely on them.

Sorry, I can't help more, but you may be stuck not getting to Landmannalaugar. I know it is a very popular site, but frankly, we found it rather disappointing.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular South Iceland Travel Answer Locations