South Iceland Travel Answers

change location

1.near KEF airport half day by car 2.Vestmannaeyjar good in Xmas

by primase Online Now Dec 18, 2008 at 6:19 PM

1. I will arrive KEF international airport 6am and get a rental car. My friend will arrive at 3pm in KEF. And we will go blue lagoon. So I have some quesitons:
a.) If I go blue lagoon alone from 10am ~2pm, then pick up my friend and go back lagoon until 6pm. Will I be bored? Or the lagoon is very fun and I can spend all day in it?
b.) Or should I drive to Reykjavik and take a walk in the city?
c.) Any other nearby is good to drive to for few hours?
d.) If I want to see northern light, I just find a dark place and raise my head?

2. Is Vestmannaeyjar a bad place to go in winter time? (no birds...) I will be in Reykjavik Dec 22~28. I am thinking where nearby should I drive to? Myrdalsjökull has no stable weather, snow.is tell me to check the weather with them one day before. And ski slopes near Reykjavik told me snow amount is not enough yet. Any suggesitons in Xmas? I am only sure that I will go golden cycle.

3. Will Hallgrimskirkja have special event in Xmas? There website is not english and I don't understadn. http://www.hallgrimskirkja.is/

Quote & Answer
6 Answers
  • putns's Profile Photo

Re: 1.near KEF airport half day by car 2.Vestmannaeyjar good in Xmas

by putns Online Now Dec 18, 2008 at 11:21 PM

Hi!
    BL twice in the same day is way too much. If the road is open you can drive to Hafnir, Reykjanesviti lighthouse and Grindavik and then continue to RVK.
    You are right about looking for aurora borealis in a dark place after 08pm.
    I would avoid Vestmanislands any time from Oct til May. The most windy place. Along the South coast there is always smth to look at. Do not miss the very special food on 23rd. Unforgettable experience!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: 1.near KEF airport half day by car 2.Vestmannaeyjar good in Xmas

by pg12359 Online Now Dec 19, 2008 at 4:59 AM

When I went to Iceland, I arrived at 6am and couldn't check into my hotel until 2pm. So I headed north in my rental car to Gardur and proceeded to check out the west coast of Reykjanes Penisula - Sandgerdi, Hafnir, Valanukur,etc. Wound up in Grindavik and then headed back north to Reykjavik.
    It got me in the mood immediately for what Iceland was all about and saw some interesting stuff - churches, lighthouses, cliffs, etc.
    We went in October and it was windy and somewhat cold. Don't know how it will be when you're there.

• SK6Reykjavik's Profile Photo

by SK6Reykjavik Online Now Dec 19, 2008 at 2:21 PM

There will be a nice service at Askirkja church on Christmas day at 2 pm, choir singing during the service. It is the concrete church open the Botanical garden.

by primase Online Now Dec 19, 2008 at 10:57 PM

Do you suggest me drive to Hafnir, Reykjanesviti lighthouse and Grindavik. Before sun rise at 10:30am? (Bc I will be in KEF 6am)

Or before the sun rise, I can not see anything so I better sleep in airport before 10:30am?

thanks!

by pg12359 Online Now Dec 20, 2008 at 4:55 AM

oops. sorry. didn't take that into account. The sun was up by 7:00am when I was there.
    Even if you didn't leave the airport until 10:30am, that still leaves you 4.5 hours to explore until you have to get back to the airport. Should be plenty of time to see many things on that route.

• putns's Profile Photo

by putns Online Now Dec 20, 2008 at 5:35 AM

Oh, the daylight. KEF airport is not a very cosy place. Once you have collected your luggage and passed the controls you end up in a small and rather cold lobby with the most uncomfortable chairs. I really don´t know how to kill time. You can try the hotel of Keflavik. At least it is near the sea and warmer and there is a coffe place always open.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular South Iceland Travel Answer Locations