South Iceland Travel Answers

change location
lubyatoo's Profile Photo

US Travel Agency

by lubyatoo Online Now Jan 18, 2008 at 9:17 AM

Hi everyone,

I would like to get a phone number for travel agency in US that specializes in travel from US to Iceland. It can be located anywhere in US and has to be cheap...I just want a cheap ticket to Reykjavik, Iceland. Thank you.

Quote & Answer
7 Answers
  • lkdahl's Profile Photo

Re: US Travel Agency

by lkdahl Online Now Jan 18, 2008 at 9:40 AM

Have you checked out Iceland Air? They only fly out of 4 US cities. Never flown them but plenty of my friends have and say they are good and cheap. Every flight to Europe has a stopover in Iceland.

Website is:
    http://www.icelandair.com/

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • kathymof's Profile Photo

by kathymof Online Now Jan 18, 2008 at 10:57 AM

I used this group 5 Stars of Scandinavia
    http://www.5stars-of-scandinavia.com/

There is also Scantours http://www.scantours.com/

• lubyatoo's Profile Photo

by lubyatoo Online Now Jan 20, 2008 at 8:55 AM

I just don't want to bother with iteniary, and matching fights myself...It could be disaster...Thanks to everyone who responded, I will be shopping around so please send me more.

• DaShast's Profile Photo

by DaShast Online Now Feb 10, 2008 at 9:25 AM

Honestly, going through a travel agency will be more expensive than putting a trip together yourself since you're adding a middle-man to the process.

I see you live in AZ. I would take a cheap morning flight (JetBlue maybe?) from AZ to either NYC or Boston, then leave from either of those cities that night on an overnight to Iceland (Keflavik) on Icelandair (www.icelandair.com).

When you land in Keflavik ~6:30am, if you go straight to Reykjavik it will be too early in the day to check in to your hotel room.... So, I strongly recommend to do the "Iceland Eyeopener Tour" out of Keflavik (www.dolphin.is). This tour picks you up from the Keflavik airport, takes you straight to a whale watch in the Faxafloi Bay off of Keflavik, then they drive you to the Blue Lagoon. After a few hours at the Blue Lagoon, they then drive you into Reykjavik to your hotel. By this time, it is ~4pm and your hotel room will be ready. Conversely, once you land you can also just take the FlyBus (www.flybus.is) from the airport into Reykjavik, but your room might not be available yet.

Once you're in Reykjavik, take a look at the day tours offered by www.grayline.is and www.re.is. These tours are perfect for exploring Iceland. They pick you up and drop you off at your hotel. Couldn't be easier! Reykjavik is a cool city and there is a ton to explore there. Great city for walking - - - everything is really condensed.

Also, if you want to explore places further away (ex. Isafjordur, Akureyri, even Greenland), take a look at the day tours offered through Iceland's little domestic carrier, Air Iceland (www.airiceland.is). Air Iceland flies out of Reykjavik's little city airport (note that this is a different airport from the big international one in Keflavik). If you're staying in a hotel in downtown Reykjavik you'll want to take a taxi to the Reykjavik city airport. Your hotel front desk can arrange it for you. The taxi costs ~2000-2500ISK from downtown and you don't need to tip.

***Note that Air Iceland is different from the international carrier Icelandair. Icelandair, as someone already posted, also offers day tours, BUT these tours are subcontracted through www.grayline.is and www.re.is anyway, so you might as well skip the middle-man and just go directly to grayline's and re's websites directly.

Hope this helps!

• kathymof's Profile Photo

by kathymof Online Now Feb 10, 2008 at 9:33 AM

If all you want is a cheap ticket to Iceland and no tour around the whole country, the above post makes good sense. Get to a place that Iceland Air flys through and use them. They also have organized tours.

• lubyatoo's Profile Photo

by lubyatoo Online Now Jun 11, 2008 at 9:33 PM

Thank you soooo much....that really helps out a lot...Im still planning my trip hehe bec i need money lol

• Re: US Travel Agency

by lisamathers Online Now Jun 27, 2010 at 1:18 PM

internet flights are the absolute cheapist way to go. I have compared packages that include flights and hotels, etc....Depends on when you go. November is when I am going and it is off season but still really cool things to do and see...flight was 567.00. Renting an apartment with a friend which is about 50.00 each per night. Try the hostels if you need to go cheaper they are really good, clean and you can get a private room. I never found a travel agent that specialized in iceland. You need to keep up with the internet offers by iceland air. Go to icelandair.com...iceland is a very expensive country and I have found that there is no reallly cheap way to get there or stay there...but you can save by reading tips from blogs and buy cheese bread, yogurt, etc..for meals.

good luck
    lisa

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular South Iceland Travel Answer Locations