South Iceland Travel Answers

change location

driving in March?

by wkei3 Online Now Jan 10, 2008 at 1:31 PM

Hello all,

We will be coming to Iceland for a weekend in beginning of March and would like to go on the Golden Cricle, Blue Lagoon, have some time in the city and try to hunt for northern light. We figured that it will be much cheaper to rent a car and go aroundourselves rather than taking all those tours when there will be at least 5 of us.

So my question is that what is the driving like in March? Will you still have snow by then? Is it easy to drive around? What about parking? Would that be a problem in the city?

Thanks, and I look forward to my trip in Iceland!

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • putns's Profile Photo

Re: driving in March?

by putns Online Now Jan 11, 2008 at 7:49 AM

A wise decision. Driving on Nr 1 usually is ok in South Iceland, finding places is easy, hotels are friendly. No problem about parking unless you leave the car near to horses who lick off the coating.... Even if there will be a snowstorm it won´t last long. Can not promise the lights haven´t seen myself since Dec

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: driving in March?

by stevejc1956 Online Now Jan 13, 2008 at 1:01 PM

hi, we were in reykjavik in march last year and the south was fine for driving, the only snow was up past geysur and the big waterfall and the snow plateau. roughly 50 miles north. be warned though the roads the further north you go tend to mingle in with the surrounding countryside and they can be rather poor. parking is no problem. hiring a car can be done through the tourist information office down in the main square near the harbour.
    it mat be march but DO take a big coat with you, it may be sunny but sure as damn it, it will be windy. down on the seafront it was bitter and brought tears to my eyes. do try the whale watching, it was a laugh, and stay off the dried fish, some of it was disgusting!!!!!!!!
    another delicacy was the puffin, smoked over dried sheep droppings, that has to be tasted to be believed, just shut your eyes and don,t think!!!!!!!!
    seriously it is a nice place (a bit pricey) and the locals are friendly so have a good time.
    hope this helps
    steve c

• Re: driving in March?

by wkei3 Online Now Jan 14, 2008 at 9:39 AM

Thank you for your advice. I'll rent a car then! There will be 7 of us going, so we will need to find a 7-seater or 2 cars.

stevejc1956, you mentioned that you went in March and u were able to do hale watching? Coz I can't find any whale watching tour in March, they all start in April or May. Which tour company did you go for? And where did you go to watch whale?

Thanks again.

• PotatoChips's Profile Photo

Re: driving in March?

by PotatoChips Online Now Jan 15, 2008 at 3:59 PM

Hi wkei, i was abt to post the same question abt going to iceland in march. You're lucky that you are travelling with a group of ppl. My hubby and I will jst be on our own. Couldn't seem to get friends to come along as it sounds pretty pricey. Good luck to you and who knows we might bump into you eventhough we do not know each other :) Cheers!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular South Iceland Travel Answer Locations