South Iceland Travel Answers

change location

Glacier hiking in January?

by hajokoch Online Now Sep 1, 2005 at 11:45 AM

I'm completely new to VT - so excuse any mistake, please.

We had our first >2 weeks round trip around Iceland in June - it was absolutely great! Now we plan to be in Reykjavik on the 31.12. to 01.01. and adding a trip to the southern area by car - waterfalls and further to Vik. Does anyone know a link to some company that offers guided glacier tours locally (not by bus from Reykjavik) around the Solheimajökull or any other glacier nearby? I couldn't find anything with Google.

Thank you very much.
Hajo (near Frankfurt/Main-Germany)

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • Ritchie_Lionheart's Profile Photo

RE: RE: Glacier hiking in January?

by Ritchie_Lionheart Online Now Sep 1, 2005 at 2:04 PM

But Hajo, are you aware that days in this hemisphere are very short in January?
    Sunrise on January 1 is 11:19 am, sunset is 03:48 pm. True, the daylight is a good 2 hrs longer at the end of January.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • erensm's Profile Photo

RE: Glacier hiking in January?

by erensm Online Now Sep 1, 2005 at 2:37 PM

Try this one : http://snow.is/

• xuessium's Profile Photo

RE: Glacier hiking in January?

by xuessium Online Now Sep 2, 2005 at 3:46 AM

I don't know if this link might be useful for your quest: randburg.com/is/tourism/glac...

I was at Solheimajokull and I noticed that there was a sign advertising guided tours onto the glacier at specific times. The problem is - there are no shacks or stations at the entrance of the park so I am a little puzzled where you can actually register for a guided tour. (There was a group of people looking for the guide to no avail) My guide for the day (day trip from REK) mentioned she used to do this before she switched companies - unfortunately, I did not get the name of her previous employer.

Happy hunting!

• RE: RE: Glacier hiking in January?

by hajokoch Online Now Sep 4, 2005 at 4:26 AM

Thanks for the hints, I just emailed the people at snow.is. Yes, I'm aware that days are very short at that time... But after a wonderful roundtrip in summer, we want to see and feel Iceland in winter.

We also saw the sign advertising glacier hiking, but unfortunately, we did not copy the contact data.

Thanks and best regards, Hajo.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular South Iceland Travel Answer Locations