South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands Travel Answers

change location

Sandwich Islands

by sarahwright21 Online Now Nov 22, 2002 at 8:44 AM

What are the sandwich islands also known as? It came up in a quiz and no-one knew the answer - I thought it was Hawaii

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • leffe3's Profile Photo

Re: Sandwich Islands

by leffe3 Online Now Nov 22, 2002 at 1:11 PM

'Eighteenth-century British explorers renamed Hawaii the Sandwich Islands after the Earl of Sandwich in England, not to describe the dish made with two slices of bread. I have always liked this name, even though I can understand why native Hawaiians didn't. Mark Twain thought Hawaii should be called the Rainbow Islands because he saw so many during his visit. The original Polynesian sailors who settled here named the place after Hawa`iki, the mythological homeland of their cultural legends' This from William Starr Moake, Hawaii on-line - but that's different to South Sandwich islands - which is in the Atlantic as opposed to the Hawaii group of islands.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • mrfish's Profile Photo

Re: Re: Sandwich Islands

by mrfish Online Now Nov 27, 2002 at 4:28 PM

Hawaii was indeed known as the Sandwich Is. Similarly the "South Sandwich Is" are a group of islands in the Sth Atlantic, south of the Falklands and Sth Georgia. The islands are administered by Great Britain but still claimed by the Argentinians.

• gordo_la's Profile Photo

Re: Sandwich Islands

by gordo_la Online Now Nov 24, 2003 at 10:52 AM

Check the area around Antacrtica, Falklands and South Georgia Islands. I believe many small islands along with South Georgia make up the the Sandwich Islands. South Georgia is part of the British Empire.

• Steelkite's Profile Photo

RE: Sandwich Islands

by Steelkite Online Now Aug 1, 2006 at 10:13 PM

Sandwich Islands are also known as the Hawaii Islands. The South Sandwich Islands, on the other hand, is part of the South Georgia administrative body (UK) and is uninhabited. They are located due south from the Falklands Islands adjacent to southern Argentina.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands Travel Answer Locations