South Dakota

change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• Opinions about the Linq?

Las Vegas Yesterday

We're planning a trip in late March 2015 and I'm looking for a mid strip place to stay. Stayed at Harrahs some years ago, and don't want to spend the $$$ for Caesar's, The Cromwell, etc. I read an article about how the Linq is much improved over the old Imperial Palace, so I'm interested in opinions from people who have stayed there.

more
    • dobrovod's Profile Photo

Cross Country Skiing, Family Friendly Activities

Banner Elk Yesterday

My family and I are planning to be in the Banner Elk, Boone or Asheville area for New Year's Eve and Day. Are there good cross country skiing trails in these areas, sledding or tubing? What other activities should we consider as a family?

Thank you.

more
    • MarieSoleil's Profile Photo

childcare in Colorado ski resorts?

Colorado Dec 8, 2014 at 11:21 AM

Need advice on a good skiing resort in Colorado with reasonable child care rates. I've looked at Beaver Creek and Keystone and Durango...if anyone knows please message me! Thanks

more
    • safe area TO LIVE

Nashville Dec 7, 2014 at 11:56 AM

moving to Nashville Tn end of Jan 2015 I SEE SEVERAL APTS CLOSE TO DOWNDOWN WHERE I WILL BE WORKING I AM HOPING NOT TO HAVE TO TAKE THE INTERSTATE CAN ANYONE RECCOMMEND ONE HOPEFULLY ONE WITH GARAGE

more
    • recommendations please

Steamboat Springs Dec 6, 2014 at 8:00 AM

I am going to Steamboat the 2nd week in January and will need to rent skis, boots, poles and helmet. I know if I want convenience I should stick to the mountain, but it's usually more expensive. Maybe not??? Would appreciate some recommendations, as well as some suggestions for restaurants. Also, which is better for transportation from Hayden airport to Steamboat- Alipine vs. Storm Mountain?
      thank you,
      Susan

more
    • Need fun activities!

Plano Nov 25, 2014 at 11:39 AM

Traveling 02/15/15 to the Woga Meet. Is there a gun range that is open to the public? Mom, Dad, and 10yr old boy. Need suggestions on fun things to do and what to wear (weather wise)!

more
    • Eitan.R's Profile Photo

Camping in The Islands

Hawaii (State of) 9 hours ago

I wonder how the campgrounds in the islands are. I'm planning a campervan trip (more than a year from now) and trying to figure out the best way to enjoy that beautiful state.

more
    • Winter Activities

Wenatchee Yesterday

Hi,

In lieu of skiing at Mission ridge if there's not enough snow what should we do with our 8 yr old daughter in December?

more
    • Whale watching

Maui Yesterday

I'm going to Maui with my family (5 adults) next week. Someone had suggested going whale watching with the Pacific Whale Foundation. I've looked on their website, and they seem to offer a multitude of packages to do the same thing (so it seems).

Any suggestions or experiences with these whale watching tours? They seem like a fun family activity for a reasonable price.

I think the rafting option is a no-go, as my mom can't swim and will be scared to death. She'll want the stability of a boat.

Thanks in advance!

more
    • Moving To Atlanta

Atlanta Dec 15, 2014 at 11:15 PM

Is Murdock Rd area a good place for a family? I searched Google for fairy nice areas to live in, and this one was recommended.

more
    • dlandt's Profile Photo

Good things for kids in KC?

Kansas City Dec 13, 2014 at 6:38 AM

I'm considering taking my nine year old daughter to KC along with another friend who has a daughter the same age. I've browsed some web articles about children's activities in KC and haven't found them all that enlightening so I thought I would ask the VT community where we can take two little girls. We plan to be there between Christmas and New Year's and spend 2-3 days in the city.

And thanks to all the VTers who have put out their favorite BBQ joints! o need to ask about that one again!

more
    • Are there any Taxis or buses that goes to Angola Louisiana State Penitentiary?

Baton Rouge Dec 11, 2014 at 10:00 PM

Do you have Taxis or buses that goes to and from Louisiana State Penitentiary in Angola? Thank you so much!

more
    • nancy531's Profile Photo

Best private party room?

Rehoboth Beach Dec 9, 2014 at 10:00 PM

I'm looking for advice for banquet rooms/private dining rooms in restaurants in Rehoboth Beach. We will be celebrating with around 25 people and we want good food and a private room in town (not rt 1). Let me know your thoughts! Nancy

more
    • Orlando check in center

Orlando Nov 27, 2014 at 8:13 AM

Hi I am flying in to orlando on Sunday 21st December and have to get my keys from a check in center at 8701west Bronson memorial highway but according to all I can find the centre does not open on a Sunday! Any help appreciated.

more
    • MarieSoleil's Profile Photo

lanai golf courses

Lanai Nov 26, 2014 at 9:26 AM

Where's the best place to play golf in Lanai?

more
    • I'm in search of west side long term stay hotel in NYC ?

New York State Nov 26, 2014 at 1:32 AM

I need Advice on finding good hotel under $300 a night with breakfast.

more
    • DJStarr's Profile Photo

Thanksgiving Orphans! Anyone fun who'd like to join me at a show on Nov. 26th?

Las Vegas Nov 24, 2014 at 10:25 PM

Hi,
      I won a pair of tickets to Tony n Tina's Wedding dinner show - am in town this week and would like to go on Wed. Nov. 26th - anyone care to join me? The drinks are on you, I've got your ticket!
      Donna

more
    • Hotel Opinion

Wichita Nov 24, 2014 at 1:06 PM

What is your opinion on Hotel at Old Town ?

more
    • Help -- Need a Ride!

Sonoma Nov 20, 2014 at 11:55 AM

From Sonoma to SFO on Thanksgiving evening, does anyone have any ride recommendations?

more
    • Help -- Need a Ride!

Sonoma Nov 20, 2014 at 11:54 AM

From Sonoma to SFO on Thanksgiving evening, does anyone have any ride recommendations?

more
    • Annual L.A. County Holiday Celebration – Wednesday, December 24, 2014, 3:00 - 6:00 p.m.

Los Angeles 19 hours ago

1) How early should we be there to get in the line?

2) the info webpage musiccenter.org/tickets/Cale... states the "Parking under The Music Center is free". However, the Music Center website ->Plan Your Visit ->Parking lists all parking options including rates, NOT free. Can someone tell me is the free parking is just for the County Holiday Celebration? If so,

3) How to enter "Parking under the The Music Center" Also, we are visiting LA Dec.22-26, is this event worth our time? Thanks.

more
    • chain info

Wrightwood Yesterday

Me And My Family Want To Go Up This Weekend Just To Play In The Snow. Not Ski Or Anything. Will We Need Any Chains? We'll Be Coming From Hesperia And Los Angeles

more
    • From BUF Airport to Niagara-on-the-Lake is a Canadian town located in Southern Ontario

Buffalo Dec 15, 2014 at 4:14 AM

Hi everyone, I have always wanted to visit Niagara-on-the-Lake is a Canadian town located in Southern Ontario and I guess the day has come now....I know it kinda cold right now this time of winter and thinking to travel when springs comes or summer time. My question is which season are pretty good to visit the Niagara-on-the-Lake....I hope this will be answered by the person who lives there or the person who had seen both season and had good experience. My second question is since I will be coming via a plane to Buffalo Airport and from there I had to take some sort of transportation. Is there any reliable cheaper transportation that takes me straight to the lake? I made a little research and found this website http://buffaloexpresstaxi.com/ claiming that they will provide a sightseeing tour without no waiting charge it sounds pretty good to me but just want to make sure if I have another option. Thank you so much for your relevant information and time.

more
    • John195123's Profile Photo

Local Eateries

Socorro Dec 11, 2014 at 10:57 PM

Hi,

I'm going to be in Socorro for a few days and I just wanted to find the best places to eat. I know that's a vague question, but, from a local's perspective, what's the place you go to (or would go to) as often as possible?

Thanks!

more
    • gapiffy's Profile Photo

itinerary ideas south usa

Natchez Dec 11, 2014 at 8:36 PM

we are a family of 6 from australia doing a road trip from LA to new york in late jan /feb.Happy with anyones input into any of it !! we will be going south from frisco texas and onto savannah georgia,then charleston up to washington and new york.We have sixteen nights to fly out of new york and back onto home.thinking 5 nights in new york,3 in washington ,2 in charleston and 2 in savannah.that gives us 4 nights in transit from frisco to savannah.we were thinking new orleans would be cool,but now i am thinking maybe something else for times sake.maybe natchez and montgomery? we enjoy old time stuff,great scenery, charming houses and towns,some deep south experience would be good.How does the trip look to you?are our allocated nights okay or a bit wacky?Thinking we will drop off car at arrival to washington and catch train to new york( or leave it in charleston and catch train to washington?).thanks heaps you guys!!!

more
    • Anything NON Little House to do in De Smet?

De Smet Jul 30, 2014 at 12:39 AM

I loved the "Little House on the Prairie" tv show and have enjoyed her story, but is there anything else interesting to do in De Smet? I would really like to find where I can go there to have local history questions answered (not about the Ingalls family). I am trying to find out if there was active oil exploration in the 1880's as my husband's gr. grandfather lived there then and was in that line of work.

2 Answers Jul 31, 2014 at 1:30 PM
    • Campgrounds

Mount Rushmore National Memorial Jul 28, 2014 at 11:14 AM

We are traveling to mt rushmore next weekend. Not sure if it's better to stay in a campground or hotel. Have family of 6.

2 Answers Jul 29, 2014 at 9:22 AM
    • KimK59's Profile Photo

vacation for 3 days

South Dakota Jul 24, 2014 at 5:39 PM

we would like to leave on a thurs in aug and go west towards rapid city until labor day. we are on a very limited budget and plan on either staying in a cabin. does anyone have ideas on what to do and plz no caves...lol there will be 2 adults and 1 15 yr old girl

2 Answers Jul 25, 2014 at 11:12 AM
    • Road trip for a family of five which include 3 teenagers

Rapid City Apr 12, 2014 at 7:59 AM

My family and I are flying in to Rapid City in mid July our plans are to drive and visit the 1880's Town, Badlands, and Wall Drug then travel to Keystone where we would spend 2 nights while there we will visit the Needles, Mt. Rushmore and the Wind Cave. Travel to Sturgis visit the Motorcycle Museum, catch the Wild Bill Hickok reenactment in Deadwood, and Spearfish Canyon then stay 1 night at lodging in Deadwood. Travel to the Devil's Tower then head to the Battle of Little Big Horn in Mt., then travel to Cody, Wy where we would stay for 3 days, I'm not quite sure what there's to do in Cody for 3 days. Then head to Yellowstone for 3 days. My husband wants to stay at Yellowstone Under Canvas for the three nights, but I think that's too many nights. While in Yellowstone we would like to visit the Mud Pots, Mammoth Hot Springs, Old Faithful and go hiking, however we never hiked before. 3 days in Jackson Hole. While in Jackson Hole we want to go whitewater rafting, visit Grand Teton, and do the Cover Dinner Wagon. My kids would like to go horseback riding, but I don't know where I should add this to the itinerary. I would like this to be a trip that my teenage childrens would remember. Is there any recommendation of things we should eliminate or add to the list of things to do and see on our trip? Also what would be best scenic route to take? Thanks

8 Answers Apr 14, 2014 at 7:25 AM
    • Is a week too long

Mount Rushmore National Memorial Dec 29, 2013 at 6:41 PM

Is there enough to do to stay in that area considering it is only sightseeing-- and no skiing or big time hiking or fishing .

7 Answers Jan 3, 2014 at 4:11 PM
    • Transportation

South Dakota Nov 17, 2013 at 1:22 PM

Hi there,
      How easy would it be to get transportation from Pierre to Mt Rushmore then to Badlands NP for a night then back to Pierre? I'm guessing hiring a car would be the best option?
      Many thanks,
      Sandra

3 Answers Nov 17, 2013 at 8:55 PM
    • Best flights from DC to SD

South Dakota Nov 11, 2013 at 6:50 AM

I need to go from Washington DC to Todd Co, SD. Should i fly into Pierre or to another site, even though the drive will be longer?

3 Answers Dec 14, 2014 at 12:01 AM
    • one day quick trip

Sioux Falls Oct 29, 2013 at 10:30 AM

where is the best place to stay in Sioux falls sd cheap and clean. In the city

2 Answers Oct 29, 2013 at 2:42 PM
    • roamer61's Profile Photo

How many days in Rapid City?

Rapid City Oct 14, 2013 at 10:49 AM

Going to Rapid City and the Black Hills in June. Is 1 day enough for the city and its museums and other sites or should I add an extra day? I will be doing 4 tours in the area.

4 Answers Oct 15, 2013 at 11:49 AM
    • roamer61's Profile Photo

Hotel Suggestions

Rapid City Aug 11, 2013 at 7:10 AM

Going to do a Black Hills Trip next year (late June early July). Need ideas for accommodations. I am a single and I don't really want to spend more than $150 a night. Can anyone provide suggestions/options? A 2 or 3 star property is good with breakfast included, which is preferred.

7 Answers Aug 12, 2013 at 6:19 PM
    • Camping

South Dakota Jul 20, 2013 at 1:20 PM

Looking to go to Mt. Rushmore from Iowa. Plan on camping along the way and spending a few days in the part to camp and hike. Any suggestions?

2 Answers Jul 21, 2013 at 8:34 AM
    • ghost towns

Deadwood Jul 19, 2013 at 12:45 PM

has anyone been to the ghost towns around deadwood and lead? which ones are the best?

2 Answers Jul 20, 2013 at 1:49 AM
    • Buffalo steak

Badlands National Park Jul 19, 2013 at 11:09 AM

I will be going to both places. the badlands and the black hills, and wondered what the best places to eat are.

8 Answers Jul 20, 2013 at 7:04 AM
    • buffalo steak

Badlands National Park Jul 18, 2013 at 8:26 AM

what is the best place to eat a buffalo steak?

3 Answers Jul 19, 2013 at 11:17 AM
    • Correction to Night lighting at Mt. Rushmore question

Custer State Park Jun 21, 2013 at 2:13 PM

I didn't mean drive "home" but instead, back to our camp site in Custer SP.

• Night lighting at mt. Rushmore

Custer State Park Jun 21, 2013 at 1:57 PM

We are camping at North Stockade Lake in Custer SP next week. What would be the best route to drive home from Mt. Rushmore, should we decide to stay for the night lighting?

1 Answer Jun 22, 2013 at 7:20 AM
    • chrisrandonneur's Profile Photo

how to get there without a car

Mount Rushmore National Memorial May 21, 2013 at 6:07 AM

I'm planning a rail trip around the states so where would be the nearest station and buses

10 Answers May 23, 2013 at 1:13 PM
    • mip2's Profile Photo

Connections to Yankton

Sioux Falls May 3, 2013 at 4:27 AM

Which kind of transport connections do exist between Sioux Falls and Yankton ? I need to come early in the morning from Sioux Falls to Yankton ? I prefer public transportation (autobus etc)
      Thank you in advance :)

4 Answers May 3, 2013 at 1:30 PM
    • Looking for RV park near Mt Rushmore

Mount Rushmore National Memorial May 28, 2012 at 4:22 AM

Hi, I am looking for an RV park near Mt Rushmore to stay for the night. Will be coming from SW Michigan through Mt Rushmore to Yellowstone. I will have a 40' RV with a dog. Not sure who will still have openings for the end of June. Also, what else is there interesting to see on the way out to Yellowstone?

6 Answers May 28, 2012 at 2:41 PM
    • AcornMan's Profile Photo

Wind Cave or Jewel Cave?

South Dakota May 26, 2012 at 4:10 PM

We'll only have time for one cave, so I'd like to know which one is better in terms of the formations and overall experience. We have two kids (10 & 8),do we'll just do a walking tour, not the extreme spelunking tours.

1 Answer May 27, 2012 at 7:07 AM
    • MLW20's Profile Photo

South Dakota One Week Itinerary

South Dakota May 14, 2012 at 9:03 PM

Hello All,

I am visiting South Dakota at the end of June and will have one week. We are flying round trip from Rapid City. I am trying to figure out what areas we should stay during our trip to maximize our time.
      My wife and I will be traveling with our son who will be 5 months old.

Things I want to see are MT Rushmore & Crazy Horse, Custer State Park, The Corn Palace, Wall Drug, Badlands NP and Deadwood.

I am wondering if I should stay only in the Rapid City area or stay in more than one location?

Are there any suggestions for other things worth visiting? Are there any Native American sites to see asides from Crazy Horse?
      Can we get out for a detour to stop in to another state (prob not worth missing other things)

Thanks in advance for your responses and help!

4 Answers May 17, 2012 at 8:07 PM
    • Time required to see this area

Mount Rushmore National Memorial May 13, 2012 at 5:39 PM

We are planning a trip to the Mt. Rushmore and surrounding areas in July. We are trying to decide how much time to allow to see this area without feeling rushed. Would 7 days be enough to see everything (Rushmore, Crazy Horse, Wall, Badlands, etc). Thanks for any information you can provide.

Michael

10 Answers May 16, 2012 at 6:42 AM
    • Camellia36's Profile Photo

VISIT TO SOUTH DAKOTA IN SEPTEMBER 2012

South Dakota Mar 11, 2012 at 12:00 AM

I'm planning a trip to SD about mid September flying in to Rapid City from Sydney,Australia/LAX. Routes via Colorado or Utah ny idea which is the best? I will not be driving and relying on tours/bus etc. I've found a 6 day tour taking in the Buffalo Round Up and Badlands NP which sounds great - any ideas on other places to visit when I could use bus trips??? Then I would like to go to ND - best way to get there - what city? Hope someone might advise and help plan - I'm in my 70s and can get around quite well, but won't tackle a car on my own.
      Cheers

4 Answers Mar 12, 2012 at 9:02 AM
    • motorcoach tour

Rapid City Feb 29, 2012 at 4:12 PM

Will be bringing a motor coach tour of senior citizens to RC around the first of June. Presently planning about 3 hours at Rushmore, 3 hours at Custer State Park and 2 hours at Crazy Horse.Since I see a lot of comments that an esrly morning or late afternoon visit to Custer SP is best, could some one give me an efficient route (includind the route through Custer SP) to visit all three starting with Custer SP. Some back tracking would be OK. We will be coming from Cheyenne Blvd in RC and continuing to Deadwood.Any help with this question or any other info that would be helpful would be appreciated.

5 Answers Mar 4, 2012 at 10:50 AM
    • Black Hills gold

Rapid City Sep 25, 2011 at 7:08 AM

Presently bringing a motorcoach tour to RC in the spring. had a lot of requests to shop for Black Hills gold. Probably stupid question but is there a place, with many vendors, possible snack bar etc. where the women can shop without just going to one store? Thanks

3 Answers Sep 26, 2011 at 1:41 PM
    • 20 vs 44

Badlands National Park Aug 29, 2011 at 10:24 AM

Will be doing a motorcoach tour thru in the spring What is the recommendation for best experiencing the Badlands. Highway 240 or 44? (considering I'd also like to visit Wall. Thanks for any info.

2 Answers Aug 30, 2011 at 4:16 AM
    • JAN53's Profile Photo

CUSTER STATE PARK WILDLIFE LOOP SCENIC BYWAY/NORBECK SCENIC BYWAY

Mount Rushmore National Memorial Jul 19, 2011 at 11:11 AM

We are travelling from the UK to see Mount Rushmore this September and from there would like to travel the Custer State Park wildlife loop and the Peter Norbeck scenic route and it seems that these might be the same route as I can't seem to find out exactly where they run and whether it's possible to do all of this in one day. If any one has any information they think could help us we would be grateful.

1 Answer Jul 19, 2011 at 8:39 PM
    • csuresh's Profile Photo

Travel from Minneapolis to Mount Rushmore- Query

Mount Rushmore National Memorial Jun 23, 2011 at 9:42 PM

I have been exploring various travel options during the July 4 long weekend. One of the idea is to travel to Mount Rushmore. Plan is to start day 1 afternoon and stay in a location inbetween like sioux falls (approx: 240 miles). Then travel the rest next day and see Mount Rushmore in the evening of day 2. Visit again day 3 morning and then spend time in seeing other attractions like Crazy horse etc till day 3 afternoon and stay travelling 250+ miles towards minneapolis to return back on day. Questions I have is, how will the traffic in this route, any travel tips and attractions outside President's memorial. I also travelling with 2 kids aged 6 and 2.5 and attractions suiting them will be of greathelp.

4 Answers Jul 7, 2011 at 5:20 PM
    • Were to Stay In Mt Rushmore

Mount Rushmore National Memorial Jun 12, 2011 at 5:38 PM

Hi,
      Planning a trip to Mt Rushmore were is a good place to stay, thinking Keystone or is there some were better to stay?? and is there alot to do in keystone!!
      We will be driving to mt rushmore!!
      Need Help,
      Kathy

1 Answer Jun 13, 2011 at 10:25 AM
    • Whiterocks (Deadwood S.D.)

Deadwood Mar 5, 2011 at 3:08 PM

One of the sites to see in a visit to Deadwood is the forested mountain just
      outside of Deadwood. On this mountain are the graves of famous historical
      figures and on top a unique rock formation called Whiterocks. There was
      a road to the top in the mid 1990s. Is that road still there?