South Dakota Travel Answers

change location

best way to see (10 days -from Texas) Wyoming &South Dakota

by dcathey Online Now Jun 10, 2009 at 9:31 PM

We've done Utah-very pretty; actually awesome. Love Colorado. Looking for something different-really want to see Yellowstone-would like to see Mount Rushmore. 17 year-old daughter is stuck in car with parents, but loves to read. Husband used to night shift. Will be driving at night from Texas. What else should we see? How would you do it?

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • KimberlyAnn's Profile Photo

Re: best way to see (10 days -from Texas) Wyoming &South Dakota

by KimberlyAnn Online Now Jun 19, 2009 at 9:52 AM

Yellowstone is one of my favorite places, and I never get tired of being in the park, so I could spend the entire time there, but you could also do the following: From Texas go to Mt. Rushmore, then drive to Cody, Wyoming and visit the outstanding Buffalo Bill Historical Center, staying a night in Cody. See these pages for information on Cody "My Home- Cody, Wyoming" - Cody by KimberlyAnn

From Cody go to Yellowstone, spend as much time as you can. For Yellowstone information visit my pages at "Yellowstone National Park, My Neighbor" - Yellowstone National Park by KimberlyAnn

I would recommend returning home through Jackson, Wyoming to get a look at the gorgeous Tetons.

If you have the time on your wayto Mt. Rushmore, you could also stop and see Wind Cave National Park, which is not too far from Mt. Rushmore.

Be sure to plan ahead, Yellowstone motels/hotels/campgrounds fill up in advance, so you need to make reservations as early as possible. If there is nothing in the park available, I would try the little town of West Yellowstone just outside the park, as it is your next closest location. You would also need reservations there. If possible it is good to spend a night on the east where the wonderful, not to be missed Canyon with their stunning falls are, then move over to the west side and spend nights there to see the geyser basins. I am recommending this, as the main park loop road is 142-miles in size, and this will save you a lot of driving time. Wild life can be viewed in a number of areas, we are especially fond of Lamar Valley, but you may not have enough time for this northern drive in the park.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines