South America Travel Answers

change location

Caracas to Lima - Overland

by Avens Online Now Jul 27, 2010 at 8:07 AM

Hi, I believe that there is a bus that goes from Caracas to Lima. How far in advance would this need to be booked? And any idea how much it costs?

Thanks

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • nhoolb's Profile Photo

Re: Caracas to Lima - Overland

by nhoolb Online Now Jul 27, 2010 at 8:28 AM

Ormeño seems to have (had) a bus Caracas-Lima.

www.grupo-ormeno.com.pe

but their website is always "under construction".

As an estimate, from what I remember, count on USD 200-300. It should take some 3 to 4 full days.

There are several bus companies Caracas-Cucuta/Barranquilla/Cartagena-Bogotá.

Also, have a look in the Venezuela/Caracas forums.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • colares's Profile Photo

by colares Online Now Jul 27, 2010 at 9:23 AM

Found this info on the web: perucaracol.com/caracol__.ph...

They charge 220 USD; unfortunately their timetable did not work. 3 years ago we flew from CCS - LIM and it was 3 hours. Looking at the rate quoted I would fly also for security reasons.

• nhoolb's Profile Photo

by nhoolb Online Now Jul 27, 2010 at 12:36 PM

I agree with more comfort to fly CCS-LIM. Security is not a big problem (anymore) so that can be dismissed as a reason. It surely is quite adventurous to go by bus.....

With COPA or Avianca or TACA and maybe even LAN you should be able to find a round trip fare for around USD 600 all taxes etc. included.

• Odinnthor's Profile Photo

by Odinnthor Online Now Jul 27, 2010 at 10:33 PM

I kind of agree with both of the responses above. If you simply need to get to Lima from Caracas, then by all emans fly. However going by bus is an one of a kind adventure. Yes there may be security issues, but not nearly as bad as some may claim. If it is adventure you are looking for, rather than trying to save money, take the coach, and remember to roll with the punches. Things often go slightly wrong, so be prepared for that.

Oh, and do take some toilet paper with you. Trust me, you will thank me later......d:o)

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular South America Travel Answer Locations