South Africa Travel Answers

change location
Stroller's Profile Photo

Is April best for anything?

by Stroller Online Now Feb 10, 2013 at 3:34 PM

Hi, a colleague of mine is from South Africa. He told me that the best time to visit South Africa is March or April because it's not that hot and less crowded. That's why I've been waiting. I've just googled and found this consensus: the best time to visit the wildlife park (Kruger) is from May - October (i.e. winter/dry season) because you'll have a better chance to see the wildlife; and the best time to enjoy the beach and Garden Route will be from November to March. April will suit my schedule best and I thought it was the best season for most things. But it turns out it is best time for nothing? National Park, Garden Route and the beach are high on my list of things to do.

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • lynnehamman's Profile Photo

Re: Is April best for anything?

by lynnehamman Online Now Feb 10, 2013 at 6:54 PM

Your collegue is correct.
    March/April is a good time to visit South Africa.
    Weather is so unpredictable nowadays, but you should be able to do all the things that you want to.
    There is never really a BAD time to visit National Parks- always wonderful things to see.
    The beaches will be a bit coolish, but on the Indian Ocean side ( Muizenberg, St James or Boulders Beach (at Simonstown) will be fine for a swim and great for walking. Visit the Penguin Sanctuary also at Simonstown.
    March is good, because Jan/Feb can be very hot in Cape Town
    The Garden Route will also be good, because the heavy rains will not yet have started.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • SOUTHAFRICANDELLA's Profile Photo

by SOUTHAFRICANDELLA Online Now Feb 11, 2013 at 3:20 AM

I agree, it is a lovely time in South-Africa and you would be able to enjoy our beautiful country to it's fullest. Friends have just returned from a trip to Kruger National park and even now in summer the wildlife was plentiful, and they have the nicest pictures to proof it. Enjoy your time here!!

1 member found this helpful

• Re: Is April best for anything?

by andrewlawson Online Now Feb 11, 2013 at 4:29 AM

During the March April, the South Africa's weather suites the tourists.

• WomanvstheWild's Profile Photo

by WomanvstheWild Online Now Mar 17, 2013 at 5:45 AM

Hi there,

I live right here on a reserve in the Kruger area and can definitely vouch for the bush during April - it is the tail end of our rainy season, so you will experience warmth without the rain. Also, the bush will become less dense (due to the lack of rain), and the animals will begin to congregate around waterholes/water sources, making them a lot easier to spot.

Enjoy, and have a wonderful time here!
    Jacqui

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular South Africa Travel Answer Locations