South Africa Travel Answers

change location
BriMcFly88's Profile Photo

Driving from Cape Town to Namibia and Botswana

by BriMcFly88 Online Now Feb 2, 2013 at 7:01 PM

I read that it takes approx 7 hours to drive to Springbok. If I am feeling ambitious, ho much longer could it take to get to the fish river Canyon area in Namibia? A 1 day long car ride, or is that stretching it? Is there a better place to stop than Springbok, or is there suggested places to see on the way?

On my way back down to Cape Town I was thinking of stopping for a few nights in the transfrontier park on the Botswana side. This would be in March. Is that a park where seeing Game is guaranteed, or is there better parks to stop at on my way back to Cape Town?

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • smirnofforiginal's Profile Photo

Re: Driving from Cape Town to Namibia and Botswana

by smirnofforiginal Online Now Feb 3, 2013 at 10:23 AM

Hi I did this trip (well up to Victoria Falls and back, from Cape Town) a couple of years ago - if I can be of any help.
    The day I left Cape Town I went as far as Springbok and stayed overnight. It's a good idea because Fish River Canyon is further on and the border between S.A & Namibia can take a while depending on how many overlanders / tour groups get there before you & also the 'efficiency' of the staff - more efficient means more time spent there! Also, once over the border I did a quick side trip to Ai-Ais to fill up with petrol.

Springbok is definitely the best place to stop en route, in my opinion - there's really not a lot in between! :-)

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • BriMcFly88's Profile Photo

Re: Driving from Cape Town to Namibia and Botswana

by BriMcFly88 Online Now Feb 3, 2013 at 5:04 PM

Ah, thanks, that was very helpful. I'll make sure to stay at a place near or in Springbok then. The border crossing is something I didn't consider. Much appreciated!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular South Africa Travel Answer Locations