South Africa Travel Answers

change location
ozalp's Profile Photo

Any ideas about this company?

by ozalp Online Now Apr 15, 2013 at 1:24 AM

Isago Tours & Safaris.

They have given the best budget price so far. Any good or bad experiences are welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • Odinnthor's Profile Photo

Re: Any ideas about this company?

by Odinnthor Online Now Apr 15, 2013 at 11:47 AM

Hey Oz, hope all is well with you.........d:o)

First, are you aware of the fact that Isago is a Botswana Tour operator, not a South Africa operator? I ask since you posted this in the South Africa Forum. Perhaps you were confused by their referring to their safaris as being in "Southern Africa".

They do go to South Africa on a couple of their safari tours, but it is just fluff, - with a trip to Sun City, and a day tour of JoBurg, and that's it. A sidetrip to Sun City, is like a side trip to Las Vegas. So if you are looking to go to South Africa, Isago Tours is not the operator you want.

Isago claims to have started in 2004, but according to a media news flash, I found, they did not start legitimately until 2007. What bothers me, is that they have no membership in the needed associations and no affiliations with Int'l organisations like IATA JATA USTOA etc. That is rather peculiar after several years in the business.

Don't get me wrong, they will likely give you what they promise. However I would personally decide on an operator that is better connected.

Another big flag is the fact that they have no "About Us" page. That is where an operator explains past history start up year, affiliations and associations memberships, and any awards received. However by going around the rules, I found a page where they say they started in 2004. They did not.

As a lifelong tour director I have a fairly good command of who in who in that business, and have developed a knack for rooting out the good from the not so good on line.

Good luck.

1 member found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • ozalp's Profile Photo

by ozalp Online Now Apr 15, 2013 at 12:04 PM

Hi Erik! I am fine, and you? 
    Thanks for all these research and detailed answer.
    Yes, you are right. I am very confused not just because of the company's offers, but also we are a group which everybody searches for different stuff. A friend of mine finds these tour operators, organize the program and just want me to help him for investigating the companies.
    By the way, it is too difficult to find a good and reliable company for Botswana from Turkey. We have no idea what to look for. Do you have any tips for us? May be some company names? Our main goals are Chobe, Victoria Falls, Okavango Delta, Moremi...
    Any idea and tip are welcome.

Be the first to rate this answer!

• Odinnthor's Profile Photo

by Odinnthor Online Now Apr 15, 2013 at 12:52 PM

I rarely recommend operators that are technically not local, but mthey mighjt as well be. They are technically British. I will add them here as I know a couple of the people in charge of this operator.

africanexplorations.com/dest...

Look at their "Who we Are" page, and you will see Nicky's history. I met her years ago in Kenya, - and found her dynamic and quite fascinating in her relentless search for a nitch in the industry. Great lady that one.

Further next on the list is an old aquaintance as well, but in an entirely different country. I met Hashim Tyabji many years ago in the Tiger Tops Jungle Lodge in the Chitwan Nat'l Park in Nepal, where he worked at the time, before taking over the India Tiger Tops operations. I was frankly surprised to see Hashim's smiling face on the roster here. He is one of the best guides I have encountered. Trust me, coming from me, that is a big compliment.

Again, I hjave not used the company's services, mostly because i already had contracts with other luxury operators, but if not I migjht have considered them. They are also members in all the appropriate organisations and affilliations.

These are also (surprise) a London company but it is a good one.

http://www.jacadatravel.com/

The one thing I would stick to, is finding an operator that is a member of Botswana Tourist Board. Here is a list of many many operators in Botswana. Check some of them out, and I will review them for you if you want.

botswanatourism.co.bw/tourOp...

Be the first to rate this answer!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular South Africa Travel Answer Locations