South Africa Travel Answers

change location

Clothing advice!

by HJBx Online Now Mar 10, 2013 at 2:59 PM

Hi, I am going to South Africa in July and travelling from Jo'berg to Kruger park then down to Durban along coast to end up in Cape town. I have never been before and am unsure what to wear for the days, nights, beaches ect? and considering the time of year, is it hot or will a jumper be needed?
Any advice would be appreciated :)
HB x

Quote & Answer
9 Answers
  • lynnehamman's Profile Photo

    by lynnehamman Online Now Mar 10, 2013 at 3:20 PM

    HJBx wrote:
    Hi, I am going to South Africa in July and travelling from Jo'berg to Kruger park then down to Durban along coast to end up in Cape town. I have never been before and am unsure what to wear for the days, nights, beaches ect? and considering the time of year, is it hot or will a jumper be needed? Any advice would be appreciated :) HB x

     July is midwinter in South Africa, so I'm afraid you will need more than a jumper. The KNP will be very cold, Durban will be milder, and Cape Town will be cold and wet.

    How much time do you have in South Africa?  How will you be travelling?  By air or bus? or car?

    Beaches will be a no no except for walking.

    For night outs, you will need smart/casual (with a jacket or coat) - really depending on waht type of establishment you are visiting.

    Perhaps a bit more info from you would be helpful for us.

     

    1 member found this helpful

    Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Clothing advice!

    by HJBx Online Now Mar 10, 2013 at 3:50 PM

    I am coming from England which is currently unbearably cold so do you think i will find the SA climate fairly mild?
    We plan to spend 2/3 weeks there before flying to New York for the rest of our trip. We have so far only booked flights from UK to Jo'Berg, then from Cape Town (as planned to travel down after doing KNP) back to Jo'berg to fly out to New York.
    We have been told Port Elizabeth will have beaches to visit before heading to Cape Town however I have no idea what weather is like. The exact time is middle of July we will be in SA.
    Thank you for replying btw! xx

    Be the first to rate this answer!

    Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • canuck68's Profile Photo

    Re: Clothing advice!

    by canuck68 Online Now Mar 10, 2013 at 4:11 PM

    As Lynne pointed out it is winter in South Africa. You will need a warm jacket and long pants in all of those places you plan to visit. You could, of course, get lucky and have a few warm days. It won't be as cold as England but it will be cold.
    Yes Port Elizabeth has nice beaches (as does Cape Town) but you won't want to do any swimming. They are nice places to walk though if it's not too windy. At that time of year, I would advise you go right to Cape Town and give P.E. a miss. Unless, of course, there is something else you want to see there besides beaches.

    There are interesting places to visit both in Jo'burg and Cape Town that are inside should the weather be too cold or windy for outside activities. Whatever it is like, I think you will love it. South Africa is an amazing place.

    1 member found this helpful

    Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • lynnehamman's Profile Photo

    by lynnehamman Online Now Mar 10, 2013 at 4:34 PM

    canuck68 wrote:
    As Lynne pointed out it is winter in South Africa. You will need a warm jacket and long pants in all of those places you plan to visit. You could, of course, get lucky and have a few warm days. It won't be as cold as England but it will be cold. Yes Port Elizabeth has nice beaches (as does Cape Town) but you won't want to do any swimming. They are nice places to walk though if it's not too windy. At that time of year, I would advise you go right to Cape Town and give P.E. a miss. Unless, of course, there is something else you want to see there besides beaches.

    There are interesting places to visit both in Jo'burg and Cape Town that are inside should the weather be too cold or windy for outside activities. Whatever it is like, I think you will love it. South Africa is an amazing place.

     I agree, Dianne..........I would spend more time in Cape Town, which has so much more to offer than Port Elizabeth. Although the OP states that she comes from England, and is used to the cold- the body will adapt in SA, and poster will still feel the cold in SA.

    2 members found this helpful

    Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Clothing advice!

    by HJBx Online Now Mar 10, 2013 at 5:17 PM

    Okay i will pack for the cold, glad i asked as i was expecting to be packing the sun tan lotion! I will probably asking some more questions soon as need to start deciding our route after Kruger Park. Thank you for the replies! x

    Be the first to rate this answer!

    Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Love2Mimi's Profile Photo

    Re: Clothing advice!

    by Love2Mimi Online Now Mar 11, 2013 at 1:39 AM

    Definitely pack for cold weather but light jackets will be fine. I traveled in July to Jo'burg to Palanesburg Nat'l park and even that region was a mild winter and warmer during the day....say 50's to 60's. Try and plan a trip to Victoria Falls...you will not be disappointed with the great waterfalls! beautiful rainbows abound. My fav place to stay in Jo'burg was the michaelangelo hotel as it is right near shopping. Overall, find a bit of time to visit local villages where you will find fantastic authentic stonework and carvings from the locals. I never bought in the souvenir shops. Just saying...I support the local economy as much as I can and found that the people were so gracious.

    Be the first to rate this answer!

    Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Clothing advice!

    by HJBx Online Now Mar 11, 2013 at 6:44 AM

    After doing Kruger National park, how would you suggest travelling to cape town? we would like to maybe stop off at other places but our flight is from cape town back to Jo'Berg. We have been told about a Bazi Bus through STA which is stop on stop off, what ways of travelling and route have other people done? x

    Be the first to rate this answer!

    Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • canuck68's Profile Photo

    Re: Clothing advice!

    by canuck68 Online Now Mar 11, 2013 at 7:05 AM

    Google tells me it is approx. 1264 km from Johannesburg to Cape Town. That is a long way to drive. I have driven this but on two different trips. I was a passenger not the driver. If I were you I would fly between those cities. The national airlines are pretty competitive in price and you will save yourself a lot of hassle, im my opinion.

    1 member found this helpful

    Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • lynnehamman's Profile Photo

    by lynnehamman Online Now Mar 11, 2013 at 8:13 AM

    HJBx wrote:
    After doing Kruger National park, how would you suggest travelling to cape town? we would like to maybe stop off at other places but our flight is from cape town back to Jo'Berg. We have been told about a Bazi Bus through STA which is stop on stop off, what ways of travelling and route have other people done? x

     I agree with Diane............unless you use the Baz Bus, your only option is to fly. Its a very long drive, IF you have plenty of time, you can do the drive, but I think that a domestic flight is a better option. Kulula Airlines is a very reasonably priced airline.

    1 member found this helpful

    Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular South Africa Travel Answer Locations