South Africa Travel Answers

change location
vpas's Profile Photo

accommodation suggestions

by vpas Online Now Feb 15, 2013 at 2:19 AM

Any suggestions on good hotels -- comfort,cleanliness, location are our priorities -- in Johannesburg and Cape Town. We would need on large family room or two rooms since we are a family of 4 -- husband,wife and boys aged 18 and 15 years. Would need the accommodation in the 3rd to 4th week of May

Quote & Answer
5 Answers
  • vpas's Profile Photo

Re: accommodation suggestions

by vpas Online Now Feb 15, 2013 at 3:20 AM

Thank you Gerald, Any suggestions on the bed and breakfast places or guesthouses? In J'burg and Cape Town we do not want self catering rooms, only in Kruger we are opting for self catering accommodation.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • vpas's Profile Photo

by vpas Online Now Feb 15, 2013 at 3:28 AM

Gerald_D wrote: A good chain of budget hotels is the City Lodge group. They have 3 or 4 price levels in their group called Road Lodge, Town Lodge, City Lodge and one higher I think. Even the basic Road Lodges are okay for a budget traveller.

However, we spend most nights in Bed & Breakfasts or Guesthouses (or even self-catering accom)....much more value for money than hotels.

Thank you so much Gerald.I have not yet got used to this new format!! Any specific bed and breakfast places that you would recommend? I am not looking for self catering in Cape Town and J'burg since I do not intend cooking at these places.

• vpas's Profile Photo

by vpas Online Now Feb 15, 2013 at 7:43 AM

We plan to stay for just one day in Johannesburg. Then the next day we plan to hire a self drive car to Kruger n.p.. So I do not think we would be having a car while in J'burg. In Cape Town we plan to stay for 6 days or so, Is it better to hire a car for self drive while in Cape Town? We hope to do the usual sites and also some countryside picnics while in Cape Town. If the public transport is not too good, we would hire a self drive car.

• canuck68's Profile Photo

by canuck68 Online Now Feb 15, 2013 at 8:30 AM

I am not a resident of Cape Town but I think if you are comfortable with hiring a car that you will get around much more easily. I think that relying on public transport would be too restricting for you. Have a terrific time.

1 member found this helpful

• lynnehamman's Profile Photo

by lynnehamman Online Now Feb 15, 2013 at 1:14 PM

Good idea to have a car in Cape Town. The city has magnificent scenic drives. Besides getting out into the Vineyards and Mountains (Stellenbosch, Paarl etc) do drive around Chapmans Peak. Breathtaking views of Indian and Atlantic Oceans, and see the ocenas meet at Cape Point. Again, ideal day for adventure, exploration and a picnic or two. There are lovely forests to walk in, but will need a car to get to them. A car will be best for you, especially since there are 4 of you. Get a GPS with hire car- this will help, although the roads are well signposted and maps easy to follow.

1 member found this helpful

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular South Africa Travel Answer Locations