Sortavala Travel Answers

change location
Skillsbus's Profile Photo

Tourist registration in Sortavala

by Skillsbus Online Now Feb 7, 2013 at 11:27 AM

HI,
I am visiting Sortavala in July this year and hopefully staying with a friend.
On my visa application i must state where i am staying.
Once in Sortavala where should i go to register my visit?
If i stay at a hotel they normally do this for me so this is something i have not had to do before.
Alternatively i could stay in a hotel for 1 or 2 nights and get registered and then stay with my friends ?

Quote & Answer
7 Answers
  • bugulma's Profile Photo

Re: Tourist registration in Sortavala

by bugulma Online Now Feb 7, 2013 at 12:16 PM

you can fill special form in the post-office where you may write the address of your friend. It is enough to register (as far as I know it is valid for 6-month stay :-))
    read this link as well...inyourpocket.com/russia/Regi...

I don't know about Russian visa application rules but for Schengen I must have hotel booking or private invitation when I apply for visa. I mean if you write the address of your friend, maybe then they will ask for invitation paper...

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • akkipaa's Profile Photo

by akkipaa Online Now Feb 8, 2013 at 12:01 AM

Good and tricky question my friend. Remember, these are according to Schengen and Fin/Rus so you might have different rules.

According to Russian law outsider have to register the Visa in OVIR (visa registering office) in seven days (Sat and Sun are not counted). This is not needed if you stay under seven days. Hotels have to register at once. The registeration has to do again in new locations you visit.

And two tricky issues, these regulations are changing every now and then (last your the visa system at least to us became more difficult. E.g. we needed to get confirmation from insurance company that we are insured, earlier copy of insurance card was enough). The other issue is that if you don't follow the rules they might give you some penalty when departing Russia. You know the migration card? That is important also and if you are travelling alone, remember to get it (and fill it before custom activities) when going to Russia (this card is like a registeration, they make some registration to that) I just checked it from Fin-Rus embassy pages).

Remember the six month rule in your passports validity also.

Do you have visa already. I think you might face some troubles if you don't have either hotel reservation or invitation from someone when accuiring the visa.

• Skillsbus's Profile Photo

by Skillsbus Online Now Feb 8, 2013 at 12:53 AM

I have not yet applied for my visa. I will be staying in Sortavala for 7 nights. I have hotel booked in Spb already so that part wont be a problem. If i stay in a hotel for a couple of nights in Sortavala that should solve the problem i think.

by akkipaa Online Now Feb 8, 2013 at 12:59 AM

I think so, at least you are registered in StP and Sortavala hotel.

by Skillsbus Online Now Feb 8, 2013 at 9:24 AM

Its all pointing towards a 2 nights in the hotel :)
    The last thing i need is trouble when i'm heading home or having to apy a fine !!!

by Skillsbus Online Now Feb 8, 2013 at 12:41 PM

I just checked my dates and i will be in Sortavala 8 nights so i am best staying in a hotel for 1st night at least.

by akkipaa Online Now Feb 8, 2013 at 1:02 PM

Remember, Sat and Sun are not counted!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines