Sorrento Travel Answers

change location

Circumvesuviana train to Naples

by gerriberry Online Now Sep 29, 2011 at 10:59 AM

Does anyone know what time the first train leaves Sorrento for Naples on a Sunday morning? I am having difficulty understanding the Circumvesuviana website. I need to get to Rome (FCO) for a 12:55 flight.

Quote & Answer
12 Answers
  • leics's Profile Photo

Re: Circumvesuviana train to Naples

by leics Online Now Sep 29, 2011 at 11:11 AM

Here's the Circumvesuviana site in English:

http://www.vesuviana.it/web/en

All you have to do is put in the time you want to travel.

It takes an hour to Naples, and the airport bus from P Garibaldi takes about 25 minutes...so perhaps leave about 8am?

But why not take the direct Curreri bus from outside Sorrento Circumvesuviana station to the airport? It's cheap, it's an excellent service, you can just pay the bus driver (it's very unlikely to be full) or, if you prefer, you can book online here:

http://www.curreriviaggi.it/

Click 'bus routes'.

I always use Curreri rather than faff about with Circumvesuviana + bus.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Sep 29, 2011 at 11:16 AM

Sorry, misread your post. Am slapping self.

Apologies.

Right. You'll need to be at ?Fiumicino? for around 1055 (or 0955?). Journey from Rome Termini by Leonardo Express train takes around 30 minutes. Naples > Rome is around an hour.

Sorrento to Naples is around an hour. You need to leave early to allow for potential delays.

I'm working on the Circumvesuviana site now... and slapping myself at the same time....

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Sep 29, 2011 at 11:23 AM

First train from Sorrento on Sundays is at 0601 (arr 0706). I found it simply by putting 0500 for 02/10/11 into the journeyplanner on the site.

Subsequent trains are at 0625 (arr 0730) and 0649 (0740).

There is a Naples>Rome train at 0850 on Sundays, arriving at 1000.

trenitalia.com/homepage_en.h...

But, to be honest, I'm a cautious soul and would aim for the 0750 to Rome, arriving at 0900. I'd catch the 0625 from Sorrento if I already had the Naples>Rome ticket but if I didn't I'd catch the 0601.

• hawkhead's Profile Photo

by hawkhead Online Now Sep 29, 2011 at 11:28 AM

I assume the OP is flying from Naples to Rome?

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Sep 29, 2011 at 11:31 AM

I thought that at first (hence the slaps) but now think the poster means 'needs to get from Naples to Fiumicino for a flight'.

by hawkhead Online Now Sep 29, 2011 at 11:32 AM

Hmmmmm, so is it possible assuming they need to be at FCO around 11.00.......

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Sep 29, 2011 at 11:32 AM

I must be absolutely frank and say that, having much experience of Italy, I'd be wanting to stay the last night in Rome rather than trying to get to Fiumicino from Sorrento on a Sunday morning.

• mccalpin's Profile Photo

by mccalpin Online Now Sep 29, 2011 at 11:33 AM

I'd agree on the 07:50 to Rome...we need to remember that there is as much as a 30 minute wait for the next Leonardo Express from Termini to the airport that we have to factor in...if I'm going to rush, I'd rather do it first thing in the morning than being running OJ Simpson like through Fiumicino...plus you want to get to Rome as quickly as you can...once you are in Rome, you have multiple ways to get to the airport in case of transportation problems (worst case, a 40 euro taxi fixed fare from Termini), but from Naples, well, you don't have so many options (that are remotely affordable, that is)...

Bill

by hawkhead Online Now Sep 29, 2011 at 11:38 AM

To answer the OP's original question, 06.01 arriving Naples 07.06

• nicolaitan's Profile Photo

by nicolaitan Online Now Sep 29, 2011 at 12:22 PM

and i agree that the poster should spend the last night before flying in rome, so much less anxiety where schedules are often etched in jello.

• goodfish's Profile Photo

by goodfish Online Now Sep 29, 2011 at 3:27 PM

Second the motion on staying in Rome the night before. You just never know when it comes to Italian train schedules, sudden strikes and whatnot. Better to get to the airport relaxed and well-rested than to hurry and worry. :)

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Sep 29, 2011 at 11:05 PM

In the present economic situation the chances of such a strike are higher than normal.

In my various visits to various parts of Italy, always extensively using public transport, I have not found bus or train timetables to be inaccurate, have encountered no 'jello' situation nor encountered any strikes. But it only takes one minor engineering fault to cause delays on only railway (UK included) and may only take one bus driver to be ill for timetables to be affected.

For that reason I always prefer to be in the relevant city the night prior to my flight. As Bill notes, there is always some sort of transport available to the airport, even if it costs more than you intend to pay. But from Sorrento or Naples you'd be looking a a huge taxi fare (Sorrento>Naples airport is 100+ euro).

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines